XF 2.1 Reactions 👍😍🤣😲🙁😡

Welcome to the third in our "Have you seen...?" series for XF 2.1. We've had a phenomenal, er, reaction, to what we've shown so far. In case you haven't seen our previous two entries, you can check them out here.

As ever, to ensure you're kept up to date, we strongly recommend giving that "Watch forum" link a poke here and enabling email notifications if you haven't done so already 🙂

Today we're going to show you something that we have been talking about doing internally for quite some time - content reactions. This concept has been popular with XF users for a long time and has spawned some popular add-ons. We have quite possibly been talking about doing it since long before it was popularised by Facebook so, finally, here we are 🙂

Let's first look at how Reactions are set up in the Admin CP:

1539619702913.webp

As you can see, we've not exactly gone overboard in terms of the reactions we're shipping by default, but this felt like a sensible selection. We've added a concept of being able to assign either "Positive", "Negative" or "Neutral" to each reaction and although some of the default reactions have negative connotations, we decided not to assign any of them as "Negative" by default.

But, let's look at adding a new negative "Dislike" reaction:

localhost_21x_admin.php_reactions_add.webp

The process here should be fairly familiar if you have ever added new smilies as it uses a very similar approach for referencing the image/sprite. For your convenience we have included a "Dislike" icon in the sprite sheet should you wish to add it yourselves.

Most of this is self explanatory, but you will see we can also specify a "Text color". You'll see this in action... now!

21reactions.gif

The behaviour of the "Like" button isn't significantly different. You can still just click/tap the button to give a like (or remove the selected reaction) but to access other reactions you can hover over the link (or tap and hold on touch devices) and a tooltip will be displayed with your active reactions.

The "Text color" value we mentioned before is applied here to indicate your selected reaction. It is also displayed in the alert templates for reactions:

Screenshot 2018-10-15 at 18.45.54.webp

We have also redesigned the reaction summary:

Screenshot 2018-10-15 at 18.58.33.webp

And the reaction overlay with a new tabbed design:

Screenshot 2018-10-15 at 19.02.20.webp

And, of course, Reactions are sent through push notifications (if not opted-out):

live.browserstack.com_dashboard (3).webp

We also show a summary of the most popular reactions (up to 3) on the thread list:

localhost_21x_index.php_forums_main-forum.2_.webp

Finally, you'll notice that the primary statistic listed on member list items, member tooltips and member statistics is no longer just a simple "like count" but instead we're now tracking an overall "Reaction score".

This metric is the total number of positive reactions minus the total number of negative reactions.

localhost_21x_index.php_members_&key=highest_reaction_score (1).webp

Most of this is self explanatory so we're probably ok to leave it there without going into too much detail.

Still quite a bit more to go, so we'll see you again later this week for more 🙂

Developers: you may be wondering about a few technical details. We have a special HYS for you guys in a couple of weeks focusing on a bit more detail for some miscellaneous power user/developer changes, so stay tuned for that!

Have apple released a new update recently? People are complaining that they can't just hit like and one tap openes up the reactions

You should get more information from your users about their devices and software versions then post thread in the proper support forum.

You should get more information from your users about their devices and software versions then post thread in the proper support forum.
Will do when I get more details. This is just a general message to see if others get it as in the past this thread has been useful when an apple update changes the reaction functionality ☺️

Will do when I get more details. This is just a general message to see if others get it as in the past this thread has been useful when an apple update changes the reaction functionality ☺️

Well I updated my iPhone and I can confirm they (Apple) changed something and now opening smiles is by a click as you say. I am happy about that.

Well I updated my iPhone and I can confirm they (Apple) changed something and now opening smiles is by a click as you say. I am happy about that.
Ah thanks, just came back to open up a bug report as now I've had 3 users confirm it.

I think it's a bug as it's unexpected and unpredictable behaviour.

because some here asked: You can use any FontAwesome Icon (when you have Font Awesome already in your forum) by simple use the CSS-classes like "far fa-thumbs-up" in the settings when setting up an reaction. And voila: the thumbsup showns up. could not be more simple

Support related posts must be made in the relevant customer support forum, not HYS threads or public forums, that is the best avenue to get questions answered.

The add-on is here:

I just tested it locally and it works for me.

Post in the support forum if you need help getting it working.

The instructions are in the first post.

Alternatively, create your own custom sprite sheet.

Top Bottom