[RDF] User Banner Grouping (XF2) [Deleted]

xydrine

xydrine submitted a new resource:

[RDF] User Banner Grouping (XF2) - This addon provides grouping of user banners based on XenForo usergroups...

General Information:

Please be sure to check https://www.rdforum.org/index.php?resources/4/ for the latest updates and quicker support/discussion - however I will absolutely keep this resource updated on XenForo.com as well!

This addon is a collaboration between another coder who our community hired to help create this addon - custom for our forum, and myself (making changes/additions to it after he was done with the basics).

This addon allows you to change the way user...

Read more about this resource...

This looks to be what I need. A typical member on my forum could be in these groups:

Registered (primary group always)
Upgraded Member
Upgraded Member custom banner colors (members buy into these usergroups via DragonByte Shop)
Custom Groups created by members (members could be in many of these)

All of these have banners.
It'd be possible to display only the upgraded banner and custom group banner(s) only in this scenario?

This looks to be what I need. A typical member on my forum could be in these groups:

Registered (primary group always)
Upgraded Member
Upgraded Member custom banner colors (members buy into these usergroups via DragonByte Shop)
Custom Groups created by members (members could be in many of these)

All of these have banners.
It'd be possible to display only the upgraded banner and custom group banner(s) only in this scenario?

Hi,

So, the way I designed the addon, is so that when you assign user bars inside a usergroup's settings, those banners are not affected at all by the addon.

The addon, think of it as completely standalone from the existing user banners. You can mix and match - by creating banner groups inside the addon's settings, as well as using already existing banner groups.

This is the best I can describe it - does this answer what you were asking - or should I give a more detailed response.

Thanks for the interest!
x

Hi,

So, the way I designed the addon, is so that when you assign user bars inside a usergroup's settings, those banners are not affected at all by the addon.

The addon, think of it as completely standalone from the existing user banners. You can mix and match - by creating banner groups inside the addon's settings, as well as using already existing banner groups.

This is the best I can describe it - does this answer what you were asking - or should I give a more detailed response.

Thanks for the interest!
x

Hmm, so I'm not sure if this does what I want then. Let's put it another way.

A user is in 12 groups and all of them have banners, I want only 3 banners displayed. So I could group them like this?

GROUP 1
Banner 1
Banner 2
Banner 3
Banner 4
Banner 5
Banner 6

GROUP 2
Banner 7
Banner 8
Banner 9

GROUP 3
Banner 10
Banner 11
Banner 12

In this scenario, banners 6, 9 and 12 are the top level banners, so to speak and I'd only want to display those.

Hmm, so I'm not sure if this does what I want then. Let's put it another way.

A user is in 12 groups and all of them have banners, I want only 3 banners displayed. So I could group them like this?

GROUP 1
Banner 1
Banner 2
Banner 3
Banner 4
Banner 5
Banner 6

GROUP 2
Banner 7
Banner 8
Banner 9

GROUP 3
Banner 10
Banner 11
Banner 12

In this scenario, banners 6, 9 and 12 are the top level banners, so to speak and I'd only want to display those.

Yep this is exactly what the addon allows you to do. You can prioritize banner groups and change the priority of the child user banner groups as well.

I would absolutely have no problem giving you a refund if it wasn't what you wanted, but from your example this is exactly what the addon does. My forum is set up similarly to yours, so this banner grouping addon was important to us.

EDITED May 17, 2019: We reduced the price of this addon to $5, which gives you access to updates for your lifetime! No subscriptions needed, no renewals needed, nothing like that. I'm in a generous mood right this moment and want to give back to the admin community to which I love so much.

The usergroup system is one of the core features that XenForo has. It is very important that it has many customization features such as the one this addon provides. (i have been looking for an addon like this for 5 months now) In my opinion, they've just done it poorly. They could easily nail this system but they haven't. The base is there but the much needed features are neglected and missing. One of these features is the ability to have certain users manage an usergroup's users. For example, processing join requests (e.g. minor applications) or adding members themselves as they see fit. Going through the ACP for this should not be how it works. Luckily, another addon provides this need. Unfortunately, this also costs money. It really adds up to the costs, such important features that could be implemented very easily are missing. It doesn't just cost money, but it also costs time to find, install and familiarize yourself with the right addons.

Anyways, on to my review.
The price is incredible, and I am very happy to see this addon available for relatively cheap. However, when I went on to purchase the addon, I quickly found out that I had to register on another forum just to be able to buy it. I took a guess on why you would do this though. Probably in order to grow your userbase, have a place where they can permanently download the addons they own and also advertise your future content. But, this is a huge hassle for people that just want to purchase the addon. I highly suggest you make it available on XenForo itself, or at least have me skip registering. It gave a bad first impression to me. I now have to first find the addon, use my XenForo account to purchase it, register and use an account on your forum to actually purchase it, finally use a payment method and then I have to download, upload and install the addon before I can finally proceed with my work. You can easily see how the steps add up.

I've learnt my lesson and took a backup before I even uploaded the files to my forum. I was happy to see that everything installed appropriately. I did not get a HTTP error or anything crazy like I've had in the past where I had to reinstall my entire forum and start from scratch again. After installing it, I was happy to find out that it worked exactly as intended. The usergroups of the same category did no longer stack. I could finally disable showing just one usergroup instead of them all. (which is ridiculous to have as the only two options, there's such a major difference in that.) However, the styling did not work as intended. This is expected with custom styles, .less files and so forth. I went back to the forum I registered on and contacted the creator of the addon for assistance.

He replied within half an hour, even though his timezone has a six hour difference. I was very satisfied with the support he delivered. It took a bit longer to resolve the issue than I had hoped for, but after many attempts myself I entrusted him with ACP access and he resolved + improved it within 15 minutes. I felt that he had a lot of knowledge about the issue. He suggested me to clear my Cloudflare cache, improved the positioning of my code ( it was in the wrong .less file ) amongst other things.

Therefore I highly recommend anyone to purchase this addon. The personal assistance I received was incredible, especially for just five bucks. The only downside was the fact I had to register on another forum which really increased the time it took to actually get to setting up the addon.

However, when I went on to purchase the addon, I quickly found out that I had to register on another forum just to be able to buy it. I took a guess on why you would do this though. Probably in order to grow your userbase, have a place where they can permanently download the addons they own and also advertise your future content. But, this is a huge hassle for people that just want to purchase the addon. I highly suggest you make it available on XenForo itself, or at least have me skip registering. It gave a bad first impression to me. I now have to first find the addon, use my XenForo account to purchase it, register and use an account on your forum to actually purchase it, finally use a payment method and then I have to download, upload and install the addon before I can finally proceed with my work. You can easily see how the steps add up.

Definitely something I'll look into possibly creating a workaround - I actually have it setup so people who register just for the purpose of purchasing our addon, you don't have to go through some of the normal forum new user procedures to do so (i.e. creating an introduction post first, to be able to post anywhere on the forum, etc) but speeding up the process is something I'll look at doing - if it's possible I'd definitely do that, but I think that the RM Marketplace addon we use for addon purchasing needs a registered user to be able to make a purchase.

He replied within half an hour, even though his timezone has a six hour difference.

I really have no life! Lol.

Therefore I highly recommend anyone to purchase this addon. The personal assistance I received was incredible, especially for just five bucks. The only downside was the fact I had to register on another forum which really increased the time it took to actually get to setting up the addon.

Thanks a bunch, glad to help out!

All banners have the class userBanner--staff is that intention? Because that falsifies the style of the banner with me.
1565097371200.png

And could you add a setting that you can disable the banners in the user profile and on the member carte?

Last edited:
All banners have the class userBanner--staff is that intention? Because that falsifies the style of the banner with me.

Honestly, probably not the original intent though that's working as-coded - I actually wasn't planning on releasing this addon publicly at the time of development of the styling aspects of the addon, and may have left a couple defunct tags in there that may cause unintended issues in certain circumstances.

But I can definitely fix this up immediately for you guys - when I originally released the addon I mentioned that if anyone had any questions/comments/concerns/etc that you can raise them and I can by all means work them out of the addon so it functions properly for everyone.

So this again is something I can absolutely do - I want to make sure I don't break the appearance of userbanners on other people's forums so I'm going to start taking a look at this and make sure that's the case.

And could you add a setting that you can disable the banners in the user profile and on the member carte?

Sure, I don't think that will be too hard to do at all.

I really want to add in a piece of code to notify you on your own control panel that the addon is outdated/needs to be updated. I was actually thinking about coding an addon to show you ALL outdated addons (not just RDF-coded addons) on your forum, because it's often a pain in the A for those of us who have like 30-50 addons installed to check each individual addon page to see if there's an update or not (notifications are great on xenforo.com but it's not always the best way to go about it). But I digress.

I'll release an update to it by the end of today to take care of these requests.

While I'm working on this, does anyone else have any requests/fixes that they'd like to see added to it? Might as well take care of them all in one go so you guys don't have to keep grabbing updates frequently.

I've thought about that before but didn't find a solution that I liked.

Yeah not to get completely off topic here, but an easy way to do it would be to check what version of the addon you have installed on your forum, pull the addon's resource manager URL for the updates page - i.e. for our addon here, it would be https://xenforo.com/community/resources/rdf-user-banner-grouping-xf2.7140/updates - and it would check to see what the latest update is. If it's higher than what's installed on your forum, it'd simply show "Outdated" or whatever.

But anyway, any thoughts on other functions/features you'd like to see in this coming update of the UserBanner addon?

Can't register in your site. Use 200 characters or less.

I've heard this before, and I've been wondering what on earth is causing it. It has to be some addon we recently implemented, but our server logs are not of course showing a stack trace.

The weird thing is that it doesn't happen to everyone. In fact we've had like 10 people register today alone. It's very very weird.

Let me do a few tests and see if I can replicate it. Thanks for the heads up and I apologize for the inconvenience.

Can't register in your site. Use 200 characters or less.

I mentioned this in a PM to you:

I just updated one of our addons (an anti-spam addon) that may be responsible for this issue. If you don't mind trying again and letting me know I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Which might also be interesting; an and and or link.
You have to be in 3 groups or you can be in one of the 3 groups.

Top Bottom