Rc3 Upgrade Feedback thread...

I always do it via SCP -> SSH -> UNZIP. I wish FTP was never invented. :)

eek.png
Don't say that man!!
eek.png

Sorry I'm late on this one...

How many people decompress on their local machine then upload the decompressed files, and how many upload the entire zip and then decompress via SSH right on their server? The latter is hundreds of times faster, if you know what you're doing.

That's how I do it. The problem is that some web hosts out there hide features like SSH from their customers, so the only way to do it is to upload each file individually. I had to do a vB upgrade for a client on another host a couple of years ago, and they had no SSH on their server. I started the upload and took a long lunch break. :D

I upload, unpack, change to the /upload directory, and cp -pR /to/my/forum/directory . It actually takes longer for XF to upgrade the templates and phrases than it does for me to upload/unpack/copy.

Kier, it would make it 10fold faster if you could provide customers some way to wget the latest files.. I dunno how you'd deal with checking the user is licensed then, though.

Agreed. I always try to use wget to retrieve packages rather than download here, then upload via FTP. As I see it though, the only way to check for a license would be for the user to enter customer user ID and password before the upgrade process would begin.

At our host (which has a PHP "wrapper" to run PHP files as the account's user, vs. user "nobody"), I was able to set it up so Wordpress could upgrade itself, and its plugins, using its built-in upgrade utility. It's activated by a couple of clicks. I realize with licensing that this would be difficult with XF, but it certainly would keep upgrades simple. (And I would avoid putting them off... ;) )

Nothing wrong with ftp, there's something wrong with it being plain text.

Exactly. FTP incurs less overhead than HTTP, in fact. Some hosts support SFTP though, which I use (port 22, IIRC?). (It is just easier for me to say FTP. ;) ) FTP is still fine for anonymous downloads, but I dislike transmitting any login ID in the clear on the 'net.

Apparently 'Everyone' got demoted. That option no longer exists for accepting conversations from them, and the option has been removed for allowing them to make profile posts in your profile.

Awesome!
smile.png

untitled1.webp untitled.webp

3:05.2 to extract.
10:27.2 to upload (on crappy...decent internet)
1:07.0 to upgrade
21:33.0 to fix my outdated skins (3 skins - basic, my custom skin, and my winter version of my custom skin) (I am slow at this too...)
36:22.4 total time spent (give or take a few seconds when I wasn't paying attention)

I wonder why I love XF...maybe this fact helps explain it...

Sorry I'm late on this one...

That's how I do it. The problem is that some web hosts out there hide features like SSH from their customers, so the only way to do it is to upload each file individually. I had to do a vB upgrade for a client on another host a couple of years ago, and they had no SSH on their server. I started the upload and took a long lunch break. :D

I upload, unpack, change to the /upload directory, and cp -pR /to/my/forum/directory . It actually takes longer for XF to upgrade the templates and phrases than it does for me to upload/unpack/copy.
We allow our hosting customers to use SSH :)

I don't want to be elitist, but it's very easy for a person to massively cock things up if they don't know what they are doing, so I'd rather not give simple instructions for how to do it, which might be followed by people who don't know how to get themselves out of trouble if it goes wrong.

That's me, that is. :( :D

Thanks for the warning; I'll stick to unzipping before uploading in that case.

As a license holder, I would prefer an email advising me of the availability of a new release. I realize that right now, one is expected to subscribe to a thread (or is it a forum... I don't know) to be alerted. Will this be the policy going forward? If so, will it also be policy for receiving security release announcements?

You just reminded me, I must set-up the RSS feeder from the annoucement forum here to my private admin forum on my site, so everything pops up there.

Where's a facepalm smiley when I need it?

facepalm.gif
< There you go. :D

Top Bottom