RANT: No... I will not fix you f***ing computer

Is this always fair?

I have seen in many situations every group thinks another group is stupid. In fact there are times the people that are among the best in their field can seem quite stupid once they step out of it because they are so immersed in what they do.

In the past have seen the mechanical engineers think the IT people are stupid saying they cannot understand what they are trying to do. The IT people though the chemists where stupid because they didn't know that the data that was needed was on a legacy system. The chemists thought another group was stupid because they didn't understand that just because they knew what molecule to build that it takes time to figure out how to actually build it. Another group would be frustrated because they where trying to explain that it was not the price of the commodity rising, it was a currency loosing value relative to other currencies.

I have worked for two companies that either routinely did things no one had ever done before or where setting world records on a regular basis in spite of having a number of competent competitors. In these companies it seemed like I saw more people thinking others are stupid than any other environment, especially in meetings that involved people from many specialties. Many language barriers. I have ever seen yet amazing things where being accomplished.

You've never worked for IT... basically you sit around all day waiting for something to go wrong.

Really? I thought they worked their buts off. Maybe they where able to get everyone to think that, they had the appearance of being very busy at places I worked.

Really? I thought they worked their buts off. Maybe they where able to get everyone to think that, they had the appearance of being very busy at places I worked.

It's very easy to look busy in IT, pull up a nice basic bit of code into an editor and claim your doing bugfixes :)

It's very easy to look busy in IT, pull up a nice basic bit of code into an editor and claim your doing bugfixes :)

But in meetings we heard about how busy they where as well, they wouldn't have fibbed to us would they? I thought they where busy making things for everyone else to use.

I remember people taking IT people to various places to show them what was trying to be accomplished and then you would see head scratching and hear what a challenge it was going to be to pull it off.

I know that I am a bit dated being an old guy. When I was at Eli Lilly so many of the IT people looked like they where working their buts off. There was the Cray, the IBM 3090's, tons of AS400's, racks upon racks of stuff across several campus's having to interact with chemists, biologists, accountants, doctors. It had it's hand in everything from scientific research models to access control. The biggest issue seemed to be everyone spoke a different language of course everyone thought everyone else was stupid but it seemed everyone thought too many people where to busy to do everything needed to be done.

It really depends on management and if they know anything about IT. A lot of times, the managers of the IT departments don't know anything... and in turn, make things a lot harder for IT because of their inane practices. If the manager of an IT department knows what they are doing, they will think more IT logical, and thus things will be easier for everybody.

There is an SNL skit with Jimmy Fallon called "Nick Burns, your company's computer guy. He's gonna fix your computer, then he's gonna make fun of you!"

It goes along the same lines....
"How do I do [insert something normally technical but easy here]?"
Nick: "Oh jeesh, they teach this stuff in Blues Clues... just click this, open your finder... pick your printer.."
"printer?...what?"
Nick: "MOVE!"

Found one on youtube.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TzHbcXYwI4

Part 2:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

"Oh by the way.... YOU'RE WELCOME!"

Top Bottom