Add-on Randomly generated avatar for people that don't specify an avatar

Jesepi

I'm tired of my users not picking an avatar and having a bunch of gender/questionmark avatars all over my forums. This is an interesting solution that generates an image based on a user's IP address or other criteria:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Identicon

There are a couple of PHP based implementations of this:
As well as just using jquery:
Some more discussion on it:

How difficult would this be for an addon author to implement as a xenforo addon?

Bump, and also requesting private message from anyone interested with an estimate on how much this would cost to program as a xenforo add-on.

Probably an md5 hash of each username.

edit:

Or a combination of registration timestamp + username. Not sure if one method is better than the other.

a very easy way to do this would be to create directories in the styles directories that replace the default names:
/styles/xenforo/avatars/avatar_male_s.png becomes
/xenforo/avatars/avatar_male_s.png/index.php
index.php is a random image script, and the directory contains an assortment of random avatars.
this would require zero modifications and addons. of course the avatar would be different for every call, so a user may have a different avatar on each of their posts on a single page... but its a start i suppose

That would be interesting, but I need a static image to be generated and stored like a regular avatar.

Top Bottom