• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

ragtek Move Banned Users to Usergroup X

• Thread starter Thread starter ragtek
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ragtek

This add-on allows you to move banned users to a special usergroup.

It will only work for new banns! All existing banned users won't be moved automatic!

After the installation, you need to create the new group and set it under acp => options =>
ragtek Banned Users Management

Attention: requires http://ragtek.org/xenforo/threads/ragtek-add-ons-helper-framework.186/

This is a free add-on, so i didn't implement additional features (like check on usergroup delete, if it's the group for banned users, and if yes, don't delete it without confirm,,.... )

Attachments

Attention: If anybody is using Beta1, pls upgrade to beta2, which fixes a small bug
(It's enough to owerwrite the files! )

it looks as if this mod adds the member to a banned usergroup and nothing more. the banned usergroup permissions dont have any practical effect. the banned member is always shown the default xf error screen when logging in.
is this true? or am i just not setting this up properly?

it looks as if this mod adds the member to a banned usergroup and nothing more. the banned usergroup permissions dont have any practical effect. the banned member is always shown the default xf effor screen when logging in.
is this true? or am i just not setting this up properly?
exactly;)

everything is handeled as without this mod, only new thing is that the user is moved to a special usergroup (and on unban he'll left the group automatic)

I don't understand the purpose of this, when banned users are already within a banned usergroup, they just aren't classified with other usergroups within the ACP, yet accessed the same via the ACP and searchable within the banned members link within the ACP.

I also don't like that I require your framework to install your mods, as does this not then mean that your framework automatically includes sidebar management through your system?

Why can't your mods be built independent like everyone else does? This is why I have only one mod of yours installed, which is an earlier version of the contact thread that doesn't require your forced framework to impact my forum, which uses other sidebar management systems built on the XF styling system via the style installed, which is the way the sidebar should be managed, not through this independent system method within your framework.

Ragtek said the purpose of the Framework was so that he could reuse code he has created in other addons.
It also has the benefit of being just one code location .... so if 8 of his addons use some code in the Framework ... if that code needs changing ... he can just change it in one place.

Whilst I understand that, then shouldn't the framework do nothing at all? Which comes back to... does the framework still take control of the sidebar or any other feature included by default? This is how it was, so I have no reason to believe it hasn't been changed from this default behaviour of "doing" a couple of things by taking control of areas, which should be plugable mods, not within the framework itself.

This is why I can't pay you any money to use your mods, because your framework interferes in the default structure of XF styling areas, which it shouldn't... hence using a style that controls styling elements, ie. sidebar, now clash with the framework that is forcing things that it should be doing nothing with, other than some generic coding elements that you don't wish to replicate in each plug-able mod you create.

I tried this a while back, hence the issue... and your latest framework thread on your forum contains zero actual information about what the framework now does, or does not do... the close thread here still noted it taking control over the sidebar and other areas.

Is this still the same or have these areas been removed, and the framework does absolutely nothing by itself now?

Anthony - do you mean that if you purchase a paid Style, it might not work because ragtek's framework has changed the default style ?

im not sure what all this is about. i use the framework and it has zero effect on my management of the sidebar using jaxels system.
its effectively invisible.

I don't understand the purpose of this, when banned users are already within a banned usergroup, they just aren't classified with other usergroups within the ACP, yet accessed the same via the ACP and searchable within the banned members link within the ACP.

I also don't like that I require your framework to install your mods, as does this not then mean that your framework automatically includes sidebar management through your system?

Why can't your mods be built independent like everyone else does? This is why I have only one mod of yours installed, which is an earlier version of the contact thread that doesn't require your forced framework to impact my forum, which uses other sidebar management systems built on the XF styling system via the style installed, which is the way the sidebar should be managed, not through this independent system method within your framework.
then pls ignore my addon release threads........... they'll don't make you happy, because most include the helper framework, which is a very big help for me as developer...
There's a plan for the future to include automatic all needed framework components into the add-on build, but it will need some time, till i finish version 2.0

styling system via the style installed, which is the way the sidebar should be managed, not through this independent system method within your framework.[
no it's not...

IMO the sidebar should be managed through xenforo and not through a 3rd party addon, or a 3rd party style....

Why can't your mods be built independent like everyone else does?
No, it's not like everyone else...
Search for DRY in the net and read about it...

I have coded already > 700 add-ons. If we take only 10% (70 add-ons ) which require same methods, you'll have > 70 (or of there are 2 classes => 140 ) unnecessary EXACT SAME files in every of this 70 add-ons.

It's a horror to maintain them all....

Anthony - do you mean that if you purchase a paid Style, it might not work because ragtek's framework has changed the default style ?
No, it doesn't change anything.

1. If non add-on is installed, which adds an block using the framework, the code won't even be executed.
2. The addon doesn't change anything. ( https://github.com/ragtek/xf-addons/blob/master/Sidebar.php )

It's only creating the acp menu, IF THERE'S a block and it's only searching for the xenforo template hooks in the sidebar and attaches the blocks...

I'm really getting tired discussing the same things again and again and again........ :p

Whilst I understand that, then shouldn't the framework do nothing at all? Which comes back to... does the framework still take control of the sidebar or any other feature included by default? This is how it was, so I have no reason to believe it hasn't been changed from this default behaviour of "doing" a couple of things by taking control of areas, which should be plugable mods, not within the framework itself.

This is why I can't pay you any money to use your mods, because your framework interferes in the default structure of XF styling areas, which it shouldn't... hence using a style that controls styling elements, ie. sidebar, now clash with the framework that is forcing things that it should be doing nothing with, other than some generic coding elements that you don't wish to replicate in each plug-able mod you create.
?
Have you reported this anywhere? I can't remember that I've read this.
With what style happened this?

It's a horror to maintain them all....
Fair enough... your mods... I'm just the customer with the $$$ asking whether I bother spending or not.

I have had issues with your framework when using the xenomorph framework, which controls the sidebar via styling properties.

I'm really getting tired discussing the same things again and again and again........ :p
I guess these questions come because you're the only one doing things vastly different from other developers method of building their mods, being no forced framework to install in order to use one mod.

Clients, ie. me, might use one or two of a developers mods, but not the rest of them... I guess hence why devs build them independently without frameworks. Not arguing, just stating the obvious from what I see from developers here.

I think the "Framework method of Addons" could be an excellent idea to make the Addon coder more productive.
Did vBulletin ever have coders using frameworks ?
I've seen it used for styles in Joomla and here as well.

I proposed the idea of a "Community Framework" where Addon makers could rely upon certain code, but that xenforo doesn't have "Support Responsibility" for the code. Maybe all xenforo members could pay $75/year for unlimited addons. If Xenforo has 1,000 installs that is $100,0000. A predetermined method of dividing up the cash could be determined by populuarity of the plugins (number of installs, etc.). Addon makers would get paid weekly depending on how many (not just many though, satisfaction ratings too) of their addons are being used. They might be penalized for bugs not squashed within a certain time frame. Possibly two galleries could compete against each other. If one started adding more features, people would be able to switch easily because the galleries share a common "backend" (ie. database tables, etc.). If one gallery stops being supported, the users will migrate to the other gallery.

Just thinking out loud / late for work :)

Don't worry.
No new add-ons requiring the helper framework will be released here anymore......... *Drama Queen strikes back*
Users who can live with this, will find all new stuff on my page, all others can hope that they'll find an other idiot spending his time to code free add-ons requested by the community.......
or download it of one of the many illegal pages, if they don't want to pay soooooooo much for my add-ons...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom