Rage Quitting

When I'm feeling annoying, I like to start conversations between myself and members in disputes, then I immediately leave the conversation so they are left talking to themselves.

As far as rage-quitters, I've never done anything about them... if they quit, they quit... usually they come back, but we don't delete their account or posts or anything else.

I've decided to take away Rage Quitters deletion privileges through User Permissions in AdminCP. Normally I don't pay rage quitters any mind but when they come back and start creating threads again I remember the old threads they deleted. There are some really good threads and blogs that do not divulge any personal information that many posters have contributed to. To see them deleted is an inconvenience.

My new policy now is to move their deleted threads to the blogs section and set it as "Members Only".

To do this I use a threads to Better Blogs importer by @Daniel Hood.

When will you release that as a resource btw?

Normally I wouldn't have said anything but I said no your not and she's like wtf you are insulting my character I won't stand for it and quit.

As the admin you have to be very careful what you say. Try to resolve issues by giving examples of how you would react in certain situations. This type of information is very helpful over the long run.

As the admin you have to be very careful what you say. Try to resolve issues by giving examples of how you would react in certain situations. This type of information is very helpful over the long run.
Good advice. I mod as if the site's a house on the beach and I have guests that's why I'm really informal.

Didn't really have any intention of it lol
If you can make it import threads to blogs and blogs to threads (back and forth basically) it would definitely be worth release. I'd donate a lil more for that. There are some threads that I moved to blogs that I regret moving lol.

I moved a lot of threads to blogs though to help users monetize their blogs since they are allowed to post banners and advertisements in the blogs section. I moved some of their very old threads there to help get their blogs more views.

Wasn't there an issue with attachments during the move process?
Yeah but I've been adding Global Categories to blogs, and going back and applying a category or two to all the old blogs entries. When I was doing that I found that most of the attachments transferred over successfully, thank you. It was probably just those 5 sample blog entries I made that had a problem.

Did you rage quite your own community @DRE ? Getting an error message :)

Why would you close your site for days?

Did you rage quite your own community @DRE ? Getting an error message :)

Why would you close your site for days?
ahahahaha

no i'm overhauling the site then relaunching it.

My requirements before re-opening:
must have a purpose (meaningful copyright tutorial section)
must have advertisements and a donation system that gets the site money (solid enough to pay it's hosting)
must be easy for members to add their own advertisements to their blogs

Chatbox murdered my site to the point where I just had to shut it down completely. Relaunched it a few months later with no chatbox, and I barely have any problems at all & the site is growing wonderfully.

As @Mike Edge said, chatboxes kill communities.

I had to ban one of the dozen members that helped to start up a site 2.5 years ago last week.

She & another guy were ganging up on someone, she was evening going to a competing forum (where's she's long been permanently banned) where that someone also posts & digging up stuff to lob back at him in our forum. The someone works for a certain gov't agency that we're not fond of but his posts are always decent & polite.
I called off the attack by moving the offending posts to a public moderation area & issuing warnings.

Her partner in crime was very conciliatory, but her response was a two-letter abbreviation for a two-word expression starting with "F", so I put her out to pasture for 5 days.

As soon as her suspension was up, she posted a personal attack on me in as a response in our announcements subforum, so she's banned permanently. I even banned her IP, hoping that by the time it changes she'll have forgotten we exist.

The only other ban/suspension there in almost 2.5 years was a stalker that joined only to harass someone else.

Sometimes when people are bent on self-destruction it's best just to help them out the door with no return ticket.

People who "rage quit" usually cause more problems then they are worth.

I'd agree with this statement. There's thousands of reasons why people leave a forum and many more for people to rage quit on a forum. Typically they're members that have never been the most contributing and have been very close to the rules and violations and thus is a good thing that they leave, other times they can be genuine members that have taken an interest in your board and have made it their home. In this case it's sad to see people leave but at the end of the day it is your forum an it is run and altered to your liking to better suit yourself, if they have left due to other members then that's not your fault and there's really nothing to do about it really, it's sad to see all members go but at the end of the day it's their decision and they decided to leave, you shouldn't worry about things like that, in some cases they return and all is well.

Top Bottom