Rage Quitting

I am going to create a Rage Quitters Usergroup. If a member rage quits and deletes all their stuff, fine but if they come back, they won't be able to delete anymore since they'll be added to the Rage Quitters usergroup. I find this better than doing it as a user permissions since my site's user permissions are jacked up.

I am going to create a Rage Quitters Usergroup. If a member rage quits and deletes all their stuff, fine but if they come back, they won't be able to delete anymore since they'll be added to the Rage Quitters usergroup. I find this better than doing it as a user permissions since my site's user permissions are jacked up.
Why do you let users delete stuff years after the fact to begin with?

Why do you let users delete stuff years after the fact to begin with?
My site started on vbulletin and I never knew anything about webmastering but I did know a lil something about annoying duplicate posts and threads. I figured might as well let verified usergroup members delete their own threads. Like modding theirselves. Which would mean less time modding on my end and more learning how to do stuff on the backend.

I have a short time limit for them to delete something. I don't want them deleting my content.

James

Same... we allow users 8 hours to edit their posts.

I can understand deletion, but I personally think unlimited editing time is fine.

I mean, what if it's someone like me here that needs to update the thread OP or another post in the thread every week (or even every day)?

There are of course legitimate uses for unlimited editing. Unfortunately as the site gets bigger, you start to see a lot of people abusing it... For example people trying to sell something, then going back and editing what they were selling (old bait and switch) after someone buys it. Claiming it was always that...

Or you could still have rage quitters go and just edit every post they made to be, "..."

Reactions: psx
There are of course legitimate uses for unlimited editing. Unfortunately as the site gets bigger, you start to see a lot of people abusing it... For example people trying to sell something, then going back and editing what they were selling (old bait and switch) after someone buys it. Claiming it was always that...

Or you could still have rage quitters go and just edit every post they made to be, "..."

Good points.

I think part of it also depends on what the site's for. For example, KH-Vids obviously allows unlimited editing (otherwise I wouldn't have linked it for the example, haha), and I'm not sure if this is the staff's reason there or if they just don't mind it, but it's a site to discuss Kingdom Hearts alongside other games and off topic stuff and has nothing to do with selling, so unlimited editing has no negative effect when it comes to money stuff.

At the same time, though, both vBulletin and XenForo (as of XF 1.2.0) have edit histories that you can check if you believe someone is up to no good, especially when it comes to things that law enforcement could get involved in.

At the same time, though, both vBulletin and XenForo (as of XF 1.2.0) have edit histories that you can check if you believe someone is up to no good, especially when it comes to things that law enforcement could get involved in.
Yep... but in XenForo, those edit histories are only available to staff, not the average user. I ended up making an addon for my site to make the edit histories viewable by all just for that reason.

Yep... but in XenForo, those edit histories are only available to staff, not the average user. I ended up making an addon for my site to make the edit histories viewable by all just for that reason.

Works basically the same way in vBulletin. Staff can see the edit histories of any posts while users can only see edit histories on their own posts.

Anyway, isn't it being available to only staff a good thing? The user who feels they were cheated or whatever would come to you and you would look up the history of the post in question. Or is your reason for making the resource because staff can't tend and cater to everything going on? :)

Works basically the same way in vBulletin. Staff can see the edit histories of any posts while users can only see edit histories on their own posts.

Anyway, isn't it being available to only staff a good thing? The user who feels they were cheated or whatever would come to you and you would look up the history of the post in question. Or is your reason for making the resource because staff can't tend and cater to everything going on? :)
I just don't see an upside to hiding edits from all users if they want to see it. And yeah, the downside is it's more work for staff.

I can understand deletion, but I personally think unlimited editing time is fine.

I mean, what if it's someone like me here that needs to update the thread OP or another post in the thread every week (or even every day)?

There are sites that it would need to be able to edit or it would be helpful if they could. On mine I don't feel that is the case. Things change in the auto industry all the time but they could just add a new post to it rather then edit it. If there is something that really needs to be edited then I will do it for them.

If someone had a good enough reason for needing it then I would probably set up a user group for them and add that permission. I'm easy to get along with.

James

There are of course legitimate uses for unlimited editing. Unfortunately as the site gets bigger, you start to see a lot of people abusing it.

It is the latter which I've seen on my sites, someone going back through all their old posts and removing the content, thus rendering large portions of the thread nonsensical.

For this reason I also have a limited editing time for posts on my sites.

If someone needs a post edited after that time, we just encourage them to report the post and request an edit be made by the moderators on their behalf. Doesn't happen often enough to cause much extra work.

I just don't see an upside to hiding edits from all users if they want to see it. And yeah, the downside is it's more work for staff.

While I like the idea of the transparency that publicly viewable edit histories allows, on some of my sites we have a lot of potential legal issues (defamation mostly), so there are plenty of occasions where I would need to ensure that nobody was able to see the edits.

In addition to defamation, we also get posts which breach our laws regarding offering financial advice, and there are also privacy issues to deal with - members posting private information about other members. Often it's just an innocent mistake, but sometimes malicious too - either way, edit history would need to be hidden.

I guess an option at edit time of making the edit history hidden for certain posts would get around that - for posts where there is no legal issue we could have the transparency of the full edit history visible to members, but for certain posts, the edit history (or part of it) would only be visible to moderators.

How do you feel about rage quitters and have you ever experienced it on your site?

In the beginning it used to annoy me but now I'm used to it.

We went through a phase where someone would get annoyed enough to threaten to leave and then we'd have a thread from all these other members begging them to stay.

This of course lead to a trend of anyone feeling like they needed "validation" of their existence, would find some reason to threaten to leave, just so they could end up with another thread full of people telling them how much they would be missed.

Can be annoying dealing with such "needy" people. If you want to leave, leave. If you need a hug, ask for a hug!

Reactions: DRE
We went through a phase where someone would get annoyed enough to threaten to leave and then we'd have a thread from all these other members begging them to stay.

This of course lead to a trend of anyone feeling like they needed "validation" of their existence, would find some reason to threaten to leave, just so they could end up with another thread full of people telling them how much they would be missed.

Can be annoying dealing with such "needy" people. If you want to leave, leave. If you need a hug, ask for a hug!
Lol this is hilarious.

Decided to put a time limit on edit and deletion to help prevent rage quitters. Gonna buy Digital Point Search to find some rage deleted threads and posts that were really not harmful and added great content so that I can un-delete them. After that's done I'll use XenUtiles Pruner to delete soft-deleted threads, posts and profile posts that were double-posts, spam and delete-worthy.

Last edited:
Top Bottom