XF 1.0 Quoting Multiple Posts

You may have noticed how the 'Reply' links on messages focus the quick reply editor, and pull in a quoted version of the message to which you are replying so that you can easily edit/trim your quote.

Have you also noticed however, that you are not limited to quoting a single message? You can click the 'reply' link on multiple messages and each of them will deliver their content to the quick reply box.

I say Multi-Quote (kinda) because at present this functionality is limited to messages on the same page, but I plan to allow this to operate across multiple pages in due course.

On the other hand, you can argue that it's easier to scroll unwanted pyramid quotes down than clicking at the little arrow, read and come back.

Besides you can hide large quotes in a spoiler tag via an addon.

Ugh. I hate seeing posts with 6 nested quotes and the person is replying to just one comment out of it all. Can't be bothered. to edit the fluff out, so it makes the entire thing a pain.

Personally, I like the way the existing quote system works. Just need the ability to quote across multiple pages in a thread easily.

Yea, that's really something you commonly see on boards glorifying quote pyramids... 3 pages of quotes that nobody will read anyway and then at the bottom

"Yes."

or

"I agree with all of that."

And similarly along those lines.

Quotes on my site are limited in height to 4 lines so it matters not how much content is quoted.

I was sick of seeing huge quotes taking up most of the content area.

On the other hand, you can argue that it's easier to scroll unwanted pyramid quotes down than clicking at the little arrow, read and come back.

Like I said, why would I want to force everyone to scroll through 10x as much text for no good reason? Waste of time, screen and database space, not to mention easily abused and downright ugly.

I'd say that for those rare instances where it's actually needed, I'd much rather see people make use of the markers.

You can spoiler the text, but it won't take any less space in the database. I manage a few large boards where quote pyramids are the norm (not my decision) and the database is probably 1/4 actual posts and 3/4 pointless quotes.

I just saw this post. Please change it back to nested quotes because in practise it hinders the flow of discussions.
I think we at least need the option for how we want it (which hopefully it sounds like we have as Mike referred to a "default").
Personally I think that anything more than 1 level is a pointless waste of screen and database space, but some admins (especially those coming from phpBB) are emotionally attached to quote pyramids and can't live without them. I always regarded that as bizarre, but that's just me...
Imagine you reply to a reply that consists of just "Why is that?" The context is lost. You have to find the post that the "Why is that" is referring to. I'd rather have pyramids of quotes than quotes without context.
You can always jump back via the quote arrow markers to get to the original post if need be and whoever replies to something like that is replying in context anyway and knows what they're replying to. Anyone reading can just read the thread in the posted order and see the same.

Frankly, introducing quote pyramids just for the sake of having quotes for such instances makes no sense. But like I said, this is personal preference. Pointless bloat which very rarely serves any actual purpose and is not really necessary is normally not something that most people want. One of my communities thought they couldn't live without it when we moved from UBB which had nested quotes to vB which didn't, but a month or two later the issue never came up again.

But if you wanted to please everyone you could just let every individual admin specify how many levels deep they want to allow quote nesting. That way everyone can set it as they like.
Ugh. I hate seeing posts with 6 nested quotes and the person is replying to just one comment out of it all. Can't be bothered. to edit the fluff out, so it makes the entire thing a pain.

Personally, I like the way the existing quote system works. Just need the ability to quote across multiple pages in a thread easily.

Yea, that's really something you commonly see on boards glorifying quote pyramids... 3 pages of quotes that nobody will read anyway and then at the bottom

"Yes."

or

"I agree with all of that."

And similarly along those lines.
Quotes on my site are limited in height to 4 lines so it matters not how much content is quoted.

I was sick of seeing huge quotes taking up most of the content area.

I agree with all of that. :LOL:

Another idea that would possibly please both sides is to increase the quote depth just one level up.

@Clickfinity: Certainly that was hard work :D

I'm curious as to how much time you spent doing that? lol

Less than a minute. You just keep clicking reply, then copy each chunk and paste it inside of the last [ / quote] tag.

Not a look I'm fond of though and did it more for illustration of how bad I think it would look if it became the default. (y)

phpBB does this by default but you can style each level separately (e.g. different background colour) so it does look somewhat better.

Top Bottom