Quick Hosting Question...

There are some of factors to consider when getting a web host

1) What resources are needed (ram / cpu / pipe)
2) How many hits / connections
3) How much bandwidth
4) Content

There are some of factors to consider when getting a web host

1) What resources are needed (ram / cpu / pipe)
2) How many hits / connections
3) How much bandwidth
4) Content
It wasn't until a lil later that I remembered that people upload not only pictures but videoclips to his servers too.

From their FAQ:

http://www.cpixel.com/other_faq.asp
  • Web Server (Primary): P4 3.0GHz w/ HT on 2GB RAM, RAID-10 controller setup w/ 6 Serial ATA disks; Windows 2003 Server
  • Web Server (Secondary): P4 3.0GHz w/ HT on 2GB RAM, RAID-10 3Ware controller w/ 6 Serial ATA disks. FreeBSD UNIX
  • Web Server (Tertiary): Dual P3 1GHz w/ 2GB RAM, RAID-5 setup w/ (5) SCSI drives @ 15,000RPM. Windows 2003 Server
  • Database Server (Primary): Dual P4 w/ 3GB RAM, RAID-5 Setup w/ 6 Serial ATA Disks, Windows 2003 Server and MS-SQL Enterprise Edition, all updated n patched!
  • Database Server (Secondary): Quad XEON 933MHz w/ 3GB RAM, RAID-1 setup w/ 4 SCSI 10k RPM disks. MS-SQL Enterprise Edition, again... patched n updated.
  • Cisco Cayalyst 6503 w/ PIX Firewall blade and IDS(NAM) module to stop these wannabe hackers n script kiddie bulls**t.
  • Alteon ACE Director2 series global load balancer.
  • Cisco 7206VXR w/ Firewall IOS to guard against DoS attacks and support our dedicated OC-12s (yes cPixel really has their own dedicated OC-12).

For a forum with less then 60 online and 2,000 topics.. Send him my way.. I'll do it for 1/2 the price :D That site could be hosted on a shared hosting account..
He says when he 'cleans the forum' he removes lots of topics. His forum is very old, older than myspace even, he only keeps the latest threads up. I'm not sure if he permanently deletes them or what, all I know is everyonce in awhile he deletes everything and makes people start all over again. That right there tells me his forum is not as important as the rest of the site and it's the other parts of the site that gets the most traffic, like myspace.

He says when he 'cleans the forum' he removes lots of topics. His forum is very old, older than myspace even, he only keeps the latest threads up. I'm not sure if he permanently deletes them or what, all I know is everyonce in awhile he deletes everything and makes people start all over again. That right there tells me his forum is not as important as the rest of the site and it's the other parts of the site that gets the most traffic, like myspace.

Ahhh, never heard of it before.. I did notice profiles though after I posted earlier. Anyway, from what I seen.. This could all be done more then likely with a premium level shared host (like us) or at very most a under $100.00 a month dedicated server.

Ahhh, never heard of it before.. I did notice profiles though after I posted earlier. Anyway, from what I seen.. This could all be done more then likely with a premium level shared host (like us) or at very most a under $100.00 a month dedicated server.
Main reason I asked is because I was wondering if my site ever got that big would I have to pay $800 a month.

I'd quit then lmao. Can't afford that.

I get this error a lot.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
Transaction (Process ID 70) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
/inc/subsfunctions/subHeaderFooter.asp, line 143

I get this error a lot.

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
Transaction (Process ID 70) was deadlocked on lock resources with another process and has been chosen as the deadlock victim. Rerun the transaction.
/inc/subsfunctions/subHeaderFooter.asp, line 143
Your host either has very low limits or is being drastically oversold. This is server (system) setup issue.

Your host either has very low limits or is being drastically oversold. This is server (system) setup issue.
Thats his server, not mine.

He gets these type of errors a whole lot. He gets tons of posting errors on the forum too.

I be wondering why after paying $800 a month he still gets these errors very frequently.

Thats his server, not mine.

He gets these type of errors a whole lot. He gets tons of posting errors on the forum too.

I be wondering why after paying $800 a month he still gets these errors very frequently.
If it is unmanaged.... Odds are high that it is his own configuration.

The old saying, you get what you pay for.... Does not always apply to web host, nor it is a rule.

I know some hosting providers who will charge you an arm, leg, and whatever else you got .... But suck at hosting, while the less costly host will out perform them all. Of course it is also true the other way around.

Top Bottom