Questions

Horizon911

Hi,

I started up a basic forum a month ago using phpbb 3.2 software. Although I am happy with it, the software version is new and there are not many mods available for it. Most of my current members are elderly and are used to vbulletin forums, as am I. Therefore, I have some questions before I purchase XF and please note I have no coding knowledge and will probably never be able to code sites:

1. Can I change the default font size on the forum, specifically in the posting reply box? Can I also change the font size in other parts of the site, ie subject titles? Does XF support google fonts and font awesome? Can users set a default font size that they wish?

2. Can I change the overall background colour to another colour? Can I use different colours, ie one colour for one section of topics and another colour for a different section of topics? I specifically need the reply box to be a different background colour from the rest of the site. Your forum is very white, which my members would be unable to use and the box I am typing this is in, I am finding difficult to read which is why I need the font size and reply box background colour to be different.

3. Does XF resize avatars? My members have experienced problems in uploading their avators as the phpbb software does not automatically resize them.

4. How many pages beyond the forum page can I have on my site? I would need a home/landing page, a forum page and at least a few others.

5. In phpb3.2 there is no default sidebar. Is the sidebar a default feature of XF? Or, do I need to acquire it separately?

6. I need the forum to take up as much of the screen as possible. Can I extend the width of the forum to fill all/most of the screen?

7. Is facebook, twitter etc integration a default feature of XF? Can social icons be placed on subjects/topics?

8. Can I embed youtube videos directly onto the forum, or do I need to use special code?

9. Strike though seems to be missing in the posting box, can this be easily added?

10. Is there an easy way to change some of the language of XF on the frontend of the forum, ie change "sticky" to "pinned" or change "thread" to "topic" beyond getting involved in coding which I can't do?

11. Can I have more than one forum on my site? I do not mean sections/topics/subjects, but a whole different forum of subjects. How would that work, ie would it be installed in the default /forum/ folder of my site or would there need to be a separate installation in a new /forum2/ part of my site? Would I need to purchase a separate licence, even though both forums would run from the same site? Can I use the same admin panel if you allow more than one forum on a site and have my members be able to use both forums seamlessly?

12. Do you have a tool available that can migrate my current phpbb 3.20 forum over to XF?

13? Do you have a instant message facility? I'm sure I read somewhere that you don't, but perhaps this was old info.

13. Does XF have the following features as default, or do they need to be purchased separately if available:

a calendar
a likes system
a donor system
a promotion system
a temporary ban system a bit like VB5's new "jail" system

14. Can I extend my licence beyond two years, and if possible would you offer a greater discount for doing so?

15. In a multi page thread, can the first post be "frozen" so that it appears at the top on every page in the thread?

The most important aspects for me are being able to change the font size easily, especially in the topic creation and reply areas and being able to change the background colours of the main index and reply sections from white to something else. My site will be used by elderly people so these are key things for me.

Many thanks!
Horizon

8. Can I embed youtube videos directly onto the forum,

9. Strike though seems to be missing in the posting box, can this be easily added?
It's there.

12. Do you have a tool available that can migrate my current phpbb 3.20 forum over to XF?
Yes.
13? Do you have a instant message facility? I'm sure I read somewhere that you don't, but perhaps this was old info.
PM? Yes (Conversation)
Chat: Only as a modification.
14. Can I extend my licence beyond two years, and if possible would you offer a greater discount for doing so?
The license is for one year for updates and support but you can extend it yearly currently for $40

Thanks for that whynot.

Where is the strike though button? I'm looking at the editing buttons right now and I would have thought it would be next to underline, but the next button along is text colour?

And another question for the staff (or whoever) can the default language be changed? I'm being told I'm spelling "colour" wrong. I'm not!:LOL:

thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom