Questions: Looking to convert & change host

Floyd R Turbo

So far, I like what I see...a ton of info here so excuse me if I am rehashing subjects, and feel free to link to existing threads for answers. For reference, I have limited forum/php knowledge, though I am a quick study. Been working with PCs since my IBM 8088 in the '80s just gave it up at college when I went a different direction.

Currently running VB4 and hosting on GoDaddy. I know. But, at least my forum is somewhat new and relatively small.

I set things up to be well guarded against spammers and so far only a few brute-force users got through. Glowhost spam-o-matic/stopspamforum, KetCAPTCHA, Bad Behaviour, got an Askimet API key. From what I've read, XF seems to stop spammers in their tracks pretty well and with the addition of Honey Pot and timer it seems that spammers won't be much of an issue. Can I still integrate KeyCAPTCHA?

I also would like to switch hosting form GoDaddy for many reasons. But I want to make sure that whatever site I choose can properly host XF. Or at least some information on potential issues with GD hosting. So any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

KeyCAPTCHA can still be integrated, I believe @tenants has an add-on for it.

As for hosting, that is really up to your needs. There is an entire forum dedicated to hosting discussions, so we'll be able to help you make an informed decision.

I see there is a hosting support thread but I have to buy XF to post to it. :(

Does anyone know of any particular problems with using GoDaddy? I've looked at a few hosting packages and, well, GoDaddy is just cheap, and since my site doesn't get a ton of traffic ATM, I'm OK with that.

Another conversion issue - I've read that there is some step you need to take in order for anything that was picked up by bots doesn't end up as a broken link. I think I made the mistake of naming my active forum directory /vb4 instead of /forum, this was because I originally bought vb5 when it was beta and quickly deleted that and installed 4, then had it all set up so I left it. So am I pretty much stuck with the fact that I will probably have a bunch of broken links. Fortunately my forum is not super-active so maybe this will have limited impact, opinions?

yep, I've looked at a couple and the small incremental cost for going from GoDaddy to xfhost seems totally worth it.

I tried to pull up this site on Tapatalk but I can't seem to find it. Is this site not on Tapatalk? I know that TT works on XF...

yep, I've looked at a couple and the small incremental cost for going from GoDaddy to xfhost seems totally worth it.

I tried to pull up this site on Tapatalk but I can't seem to find it. Is this site not on Tapatalk? I know that TT works on XF...

I have used tapatalk on XF (the program, not this site) and works well.

Jeremy, I think you answered it - I was hoping to be able to access this particular site (xenforo.com) via my TT app but it does not show up on search, so I guess it is not installed here - correct?

XenForo.com? TapaTalk is a plugin that you must install to your specific instance and is 3rd party. This site runs stock code and only 1st party add-ons.

Just out of curiosity, are first-party resources those resources that are made by staff members? I know third-party is when it's unrelated to the company.

Just out of curiosity, are first-party resources those resources that are made by staff members? I know third-party is when it's unrelated to the company.

First party addons I believe would be those which are sold/distributed by xenforo itself, so for example the resource manager.

EDIT: And yet again that Jeremy is just too damned quick for me LOL

Top Bottom