Questions before purchase

Artisan

1. Does XF have a facility to charge for paid registrations to access some parts of a forum or is an add-on required?

2. Is it necessary to have the Resource Manager to install add-ons?

There could be more questions to follow!

Paid user upgrades linked to user group promotions and permissions is built in.

The Resource Manager is not required to install add-ons, it is for housing/distributing add-ons and other content. Think of it as a download manager.

Thanks Brogan. I'm trying out the demo and something I'm not sure about in user permissions is 'Not Set (No)' and 'Never' - what's the difference?
Basically, the permissions system is very powerful in XenForo. A guide https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/ (not sure if you can view it completely as you are not yet a licensed member).

ALL your members (including Admins, Moderators, Paid Users etc) should be a part of ONE primary group.

Then, secondary groups can be created. The primary group is where the main permissions are pulled - so on any secondary group the permission "Not Set (No)" automatically pulls the permission data from the primary usergroup.

Example:
Primary - Can Post (Yes)
Secondary 01 - Can Post (Not Set - No)

The secondary 01 group will pull the permission from Primary.

In case you set "Never" - any user of that group will NEVER be able to that particular action.

Example:
Primary - Can Start Personal Conversations (Yes)
Secondary 02 - Can Start Personal Conversations (Never)

Members who are part of the additional/secondary 02 group will NEVER be able to start a conversation until you remove them from that group.

----

So you don't need to set individual permissions for each group. Set the basic set of permissions for the primary group and give/take additional permissions from secondary groups. If you set any permission as "Not Set (No)" for the primary group, you can override it for any secondary group by explicitly giving it the permission "Yes"

If you have existing users who have a recurring subscription, I believe they have to cancel, then re sign up for that subscription, as it won't likely move over, despite the integrated paid memberships. Correct me if I am wrong.

Top Bottom