Questions before I buy.

I am currently running a vbulletin 3.7xx forum for years. I've been keeping my eye on XenForo and i like what i see and hear. I've been using a demo.

I've decided that i will upgrade to XenForo in the close future. But i have some questions before i buy.

1. XenForo offers a 50$ installation fee. Is this for new installations only? Or does this include a transfer from vbulletin to xenfo. Any other fees i am not aware of?

2. My forum has about 1 million posts. Will they be able to transfer all of this? Or will i have to do it myself? And if so, will it be difficult?

3. After transfer, will the posts, avatars and links all transfer?

4. Is it safe to update? Because I keep seeing new versions being released.

5. I have some users using automatic posting software to my forum. Will it affect them, or will i have to contact them all

1. New Installations only, imports are not covered. If you want someone to do it for you, there are several people that offer this service.
2. Yes, you will be able to transfer 1 million posts, but refer to #1 for the rest of your answers.
3. As for links, you will need to set up redirects, several people here can help with that.
4. I'm not sure what you mean? Upgrading XenForo is quick and painless.
5. If the software doesn't support XenForo, it will not work after you transfer.

Ok. One thing i don't understand is. I have to install a fresh copy of XenForo on my website. But wont the files conflict?

in the ftp httpsdocs/mywebsite

should i make a new forum folder?

httpdocs/mywebsite/folder/

As both xenforo and vbulletin have the "install" folder and ".htaccess" file

Update: Well everything went great. Just click, click, click. And I had the new forum running smoothly. Easy to Install.

My old forum was in www.mywebsite.com

Now i installed my new forum in a folder called test
www.mywebsite.com/test

I installed all the mods and templates and ready to transfer.

How would I go about transferring it? Just delete my old vbulletin files in www.mywebsite.com and transfer all the files in ..test/ to the mywebsite.com/

and thats it? I remember i must change the settings somewhere in a file. But i can't remember where.

I found this:

How can I move my installation to a different directory?

Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory (or rename the directory). You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.
Note that redirection will be required to ensure any existing links continue to work.

But that seems too easy. I remember in vbulletin i had to fix some settings somewhere.

I found this:
How can I move my installation to a different directory?
Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory (or rename the directory). You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.
Note that redirection will be required to ensure any existing links continue to work.

But that seems too easy. I remember in vbulletin i had to fix some settings somewhere.
The beauty of xenForo... easy and FAST!

Top Bottom