[Question] How do I upgrade a style without losing my changes?

SchmitzIT

We're running John's excellent XenPowa style, albeit in a heavily modified version. We just upgraded the forum to 1.0.0 and had to redo our changes. Today I upgraded the forum and style to 1.0.1, and all changes are gone again.

How can I try and preserve my changes when upgrading? Having to redo all the template customizations every time we'd upgrade would soon become quite a hassle.

Any thoughts, please?

Cheers!

Peter

Moved from Styles to General Support.

This is a consequence of editing templates.
If those templates are marked as outdated after an upgrade then you need to revert them and reapply your edits.

There really is no other way it can be done.

Thanks, Brogan. I'm actually not too worried about the forum upgrade. However, when I upgrade my style, everything automaitcally dissappears, including the contents of EXTRA.css.

Is there any way to prevent that from happening, as this kind of makes extra.css kind of useless when dealing with customized styles. Am I somehow overlooking an "upgrade style" option that ensures a different path from a regular install somehow?

From what I recall no matter when you do an upgrade extra.css should not be affected in any manner. As a general rule for myself I typically export the styles before I do an upgrade just for safety.

Also if possible I would go through and take out any css edits you may have in the default templates and move them to the extra.css, as for the html edits not too much of a work around for that, at least for what I know. Utilize the style properties as much as possible so you don't have to do as much work each upgrade.

Also for your last question there's not a certain style upgrade process either that I know of :)

Ah ok. I figured it was more something generic. I imagine it'd be as easy as having John exclude EXTRA.css from the XML file.

As for the template edits, I assume that once the mods get updated, they'll start using the hooks, and thus the edits will (hopefully) cease.

Thanks for the input :)

hmm.. maybe i missing something I always do...

1) Import a style.
2) Create a child style
3) make all custom edits in a child style.
4) Set child style as default.

When new style comes out, overwrite the parent style... Since you use the child style, all edits you make there will overwrite whatever is in the parent style..

Unless I am missing something?

hmm.. maybe i missing something I always do...

1) Import a style.
2) Create a child style
3) make all custom edits in a child style.
4) Set child style as default.

When new style comes out, overwrite the parent style... Since you use the child style, all edits you make there will overwrite whatever is in the parent style..

Unless I am missing something?

What Mordy said.

When you upload a style on top of an existing style it completely overwrites and replaces the existing style. It's like deleting the existing style and creating a new style. It doesn't do a merge. If you use a child style for your customizations then you can safely overwrite the parent without losing your customizations.

Top Bottom