Question about XenForo license!

Gregory Lynn

I have taken my forum down due to the insane amount of hours I was putting into it. Can I keep the license for ever and still use it 2~4+ years from now. Or is there a time limit if your not actively using the license?

Greg

A license is forever.

Support, access to certain support forums, and the ability to download new releases - takes a renewal fee:
Includes 12 months of ticket support and upgrades. Support and upgrade access can be extended for $40 for an additional 12 months. Bulk discounts are also available

Greg, I'm glad that you are staying on with the site. It is VERY difficult to run a forum-based website. Add to that a WP install that requires new content every day or two to avoid looking stale and you've got yourself a lot of work to do.

But, don't let it get you mentally exhausted. Do things like share some responsibility with others and schedule it out. For example, get two other mods or members that can contribute to help with content get a special 'badge' (usergroup) or get a free 'paid' membership. Give them something for the work they do. Then, schedule it out by having "Helper #1" do content (article or 2 new threads started) on Monday, you on Tuesday and "Helper #2" on Wednesday and then rotate. This means that you'll only have to do two articles or 4 new threads started over a full week. You can probably do that in one night and save the content for your next scheduled day.

Good luck and keep at it Greg! :)

I did close the forum and I am not going to convert to IPB. I have renamed the forum and I am using Wordpress at front end now. I let the forum control me, even though I don't have many members. I tried to be on to be on and reply as soon as some one made a post. I was working 40~70hrs+ a week. It finally took its toll on me I burned out, I was falling asleep with out knowing it and forgetting my meds and whats worse I was arguing with my wife because I was so cranky. I am still going to run the forum, but on a much limited roll. Its not that important for me to get a million posts a week anymore. What ever the forum receives is what the forum receives. I am not going to go out of my way to make people post anymore.

Greg

I don't do that even tho my own forum is fairly new, and getting hardly any posts whatsoever, even tho it does get alot of traffic.
I post new content once or twice a day, but lately it's been more like once or twice a week, because the site has led to my increased involvement in local issues, and being invited to be on a couple of local committees.

So what I'm actually doing is leaving the site up, and hoping it will eventually gain some activity, altho there may come a time when I might have to take it down, since I can't see spending $50 per month for hosting sites that are not being used.

We shall see.

I don't do that even tho my own forum is fairly new, and getting hardly any posts whatsoever, even tho it does get alot of traffic.
I post new content once or twice a day, but lately it's been more like once or twice a week, because the site has led to my increased involvement in local issues, and being invited to be on a couple of local committees.

So what I'm actually doing is leaving the site up, and hoping it will eventually gain some activity, altho there may come a time when I might have to take it down, since I can't see spending $50 per month for hosting sites that are not being used.

We shall see.
Peggy I found a decent host based out of Canada they are called CrocWeb I am paying $7.90 a month to host my website with a static IP and so far so good. You might want to give them a try to lower your hosting costs. ;)

That's ok. If I go anywhere it'll be back to KnownHost.
But thanks
That's where I plan on going once my forum picks up again, but for now I killed the traffic by changing the domain name. Even though I am using a 301 redirect, because the Wordpress structure is different. How ever I fully expect traffic to tipple by two months.

Two months? It's not going to triple in two months just because of Wordpress, sorry.
WP is good, but it's not a miracle-worker.
I know this much my original downriver WordPress/MyBB forum was pulling 150+ unique (average) a day from Google vs my 5~50+ (average) a day from Google with XenForo and the 8wayrun portal. Sure there were some days when the 8wayrun portal and XenForo would have huge spikes, but I was pulling 150+ a day average every day with WordPress/MyBB. I don't see any reason why Wordpress/XenForo cant do better. I guess I will find out in two months. ;)

I know this much my original downriver WordPress/MyBB forum was pulling 150+ unique (average) a day from Google vs my 5~50+ (average) a day from Google with XenForo and the 8wayrun portal. Sure there were some days when the 8wayrun portal and XenForo would have huge spikes, but I was pulling 150+ a day average every day with WordPress/MyBB. I don't see any reason why Wordpress/XenForo cant do better. I guess I will find out in two months. ;)
How old was your Wordpress/MyBB install compared to how old your new domain Wordpress/XenForo install?

My old Wordpress/MyBB was about 6 moths old but had about 90% less posts then my XenForo forum and my XenForo forum is about 3 months old. I just installed Wordpress this week there are only a few pages indexed. That's why I am saying in two months the traffic will triple. Wordpress and XenForo should be fully indexed by then.

Top Bottom