Question about Xen migration

zagman76

Hello - I am planning a 5GB (raw) vB4 db migration to XF this weekend.

Currently, my Web server is a 'medium' AWS instance and my db is a 'small' inatance. For the purposes of speeding up the import, would I be better off upgrading one of those servers to the 'next size up'?

Thanks!

For the purposes of speeding up the import, would I be better off upgrading one of those servers to the 'next size up'?

Maybe. It depends on what exactly that upgrade means. For example, if the upgrade gets you a faster CPU and more RAM then you will likely see a performance benefit. But if it's something as simple as more storage space then it won't matter.

Maybe. It depends on what exactly that upgrade means. For example, if the upgrade gets you a faster CPU and more RAM then you will likely see a performance benefit. But if it's something as simple as more storage space then it won't matter.
Thanks for the info! I should have been a little more explicit in what I was looking for;

In a split-server setup (db & web), for the purposes of a vB -> Xen migration, would I be better off with a better (CPU/RAM) web server or db server (or both)? After the migration, I will revert to what I have currently.

Thanks for the info! I should have been a little more explicit in what I was looking for;

In a split-server setup (db & web), for the purposes of a vB -> Xen migration, would I be better off with a better (CPU/RAM) web server or db server (or both)? After the migration, I will revert to what I have currently.

DB server is probably the most limiting factor.

I've got a question: For this kind of split-server/db setup to transfer... Is it possible to do an import from vB (Split) to vB provided that he upgrades his server to give the server some breathing room to exact that migration? Then from there he can migrate to xenForo?

I've got a question: For this kind of split-server/db setup to transfer... Is it possible to do an import from vB (Split) to vB provided that he upgrades his server to give the server some breathing room to exact that migration? Then from there he can migrate to xenForo?

Why? You can just do two consecutive imports from vB to the same XF forum.

But yes, vB has a vB importer you can use to merge two vB forums.

Top Bottom