1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question about the container

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by typostudy, Apr 26, 2013.

1. typostudy

typostudy Member

Code:
    <xen:container var="$head.canonical"><link rel="canonical" href="{xen:link 'canonical:index'}" /></xen:container>
    Above code is taken from: acp->appearance->templates->forum_list.
    Questions:
    1. how could I know what is the container of forum_list?
    2. xen:link, where can I see the syntax of xen:link? I can see xen:container here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/xenforo-template-syntax.23245/, but can not find xen:link
    3. what is canonical?

2. James

James Well-Known Member

3. typostudy

typostudy Member

Thanks James.
    Questions:
    1. I check acp->appearance->templates->PAGE_CONTAINER, I did not see forum_list, so how did the template forum_list work inside PAGE_CONTAINER?
    2. for this code,
    Code:
    <xen:container var="$head.canonical"><link rel="canonical" href="{xen:link 'canonical:index'}" /></xen:container>
    how could i see the output in frontend or html source code? will it generate something like:
    Code:
    <a href="canonical:index" >...</a>

4. James

James Well-Known Member

The "canonical:" prefix before the index tells XenForo to load the canonical URL - it isn't actually part of the URL.

As for the forum_list, you can't find it in PAGE_CONTAINER because it's loaded directly from the PHP code, in XenForo_ControllerPublic_Index. What are you trying to do?

5. typostudy

typostudy Member

Thanks for your explanation.
    I am trying to understand how the template works and how it affects all the site. I just take forum_list as an example, I am trying to understand the codes in forum_list, and change it a little bit, see how does it work. I am going to change the layout and make templates for my site, but before it, I need to figure out how template system work in XerForo, especially I need to understand the codes with xen syntax. so if you have any documentation or resource to suggest, I will appreciate it.

6. James

James Well-Known Member

7. typostudy

typostudy Member

Got it. Thanks