Translation Question about Choosing a License Type

yavuz

Hi Everybody,

Recently I've posted an update of the XenForo Turkish translation. The initial translation was made by a team which I was a member of. I picked up the translation job in the early stages and finished it by myself. Some time ago, I had made some changes like removing the branding and changing the ownership.

The current terms of use that I put together states that the user can change phrases in the translation, share it on other sites given they link to the resource here on XenForo. Also it’s not allowed to distribute the translation under a new ownership or add branding to it.

The resource manager has new fields where you can write down a license type. I've looked into the CC License type and this one seems to be the one: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/deed.en_GB

Would the above license type be the right choice in light of the “terms of use” I’ve defined? If not which license type would you suggest?

Thank you.

Creative Commons allow for redistribution, the one you specified was for non commercial and no derivatives (meaning they cannot change it, but distribute it unaltered). I prefer by, as the only restriction in that license is that they attribute the original author. That license will allow other users to post updated releases of the translation considering they attribute original author, and also allows for commercial use of it.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

If you really want to limit commercial use, you can use by-nc. The CC licenses are very easy to follow, just look at the linked page and you can easily see what they mean, even from the URL you can basically see it (by is attribution, nc is non commercial and nd is no derivative / remixing)

Creative Commons allow for redistribution, the one you specified was for non commercial and no derivatives (meaning they cannot change it, but distribute it unaltered). I prefer by, as the only restriction in that license is that they attribute the original author. That license will allow other users to post updated releases of the translation considering they attribute original author, and also allows for commercial use of it.

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

If you really want to limit commercial use, you can use by-nc. The CC licenses are very easy to follow, just look at the linked page and you can easily see what they mean, even from the URL you can basically see it (by is attribution, nc is non commercial and nd is no derivative / remixing)

With commercial use my concern is that someone taking the translation, changing a few things and then selling it for money. People should be able to use the translation on their site whether their site has commercial purposes or not, but not sell the translation itself. Also, I would hate it if it got branded - added a copyright link in any kind.

Use it, change it but do not brand it or sell it (:

With commercial use my concern is that someone taking the translation, changing a few things and then selling it for money. People should be able to use the translation on their site whether their site has commercial purposes or not, but not sell the translation itself. Also, I would hate it if it got branded - added a copyright link in any kind.

Use it, change it but do not brand it or sell it :)
Choose then the CC By-Sa type.

Use it, change it but do not brand it or sell it :)
Commercial use does not just refer to reselling it, but also any site that have adverts on it needs you to waive that right when using the translation. But as Cedric pointed out, you can use SA instead (Share Alike), meaning they have to follow a similar license structure.

Top Bottom