Putting things in perspective

OMG! Love this thread :)

Ok first I want share something I often do while watching documentaries on the universe.
If you have a slow connection don't click..it is a 70Mb image

This is a photoshop image I just made of the original taken from http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/entire/pr2004007a/warn/ which is just about the most awesome place by the way if it is your kind of thing btw :) ) this is getting deleted in 24 hours and is here for example​
Basically using a bunch of layers and filtering methods you can pop and take the red graininess which would be the redshift I believe indicating that most of the cosmic clusters, surrounding gasses and small groups are moving away while the few and far between objects that appear blueish which means they are moving closer to the observation point exhibiting blue shift. I would have to assume the graininess in the image appears red because most of the clusters and super clusters are moving away from each other exponentially with few exception and they're gravitationally binding the smaller masses in their wake. By removing this noise in the image I can more clearly see the distant points of interest. This whole explanation has a point.​
When cleaning up images like this...you have to keep in mind to what effect are you looking into. I wanted to see some of the details of the closer objects and this stood out to me.​
ghfhdhfdghf.webp
Who thinks what... is it a binary star system ready for collision...maybe a larger star gravitationally high jacking another smaller star or maybe a smaller star stripping gasses off of it into a spirally fire. Maybe a decently sized star orbiting a black hole too closely. My question is what do you think it is?​
If you take your time with photoshop you can come up with some poster quality printables from space imagery just using layers and filtering alone. My case in point is when capturing a nebula, nasa has a process by which the use of narrow band filters to capture the signatures of individual gasses emission of light which is unique for each element.

By combining the different layers and applying a human visible color to each layer, assigned colors corresponding to a specific gas they come up with an image your eyes can see and you can interpret.
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/chandra/multimedia/photos07-019.html
Oxygen=blue hydrogen=green sulfur=red ...the false color scale in this image also known as the Hubble palette

Now I am not saying photoshop and a space observatory are comparable...what I am suggesting is that it is all just light and it is always good to look in a new light.

OMG! Love this thread :)

Who thinks what... is it a binary star system ready for collision...maybe a larger star gravitationally high jacking another smaller star or maybe a smaller star stripping gasses off of it into a spirally fire. Maybe a decently sized star orbiting a black hole too closely. My question is what do you think it is?​

It's a galaxy. :) As Shelley said every point of light you see in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field is a galaxy or galaxy cluster... which is pretty awesome if you think about it. The faintest objects are some of the most distant (ie. oldest) galaxies ever seen!

Those pictures are awesome. My question is what was in there before the big bang. We can only see the light, right? How big is the darkness or whatever it is?

Well it would be solid green as that is what we see as the cosmic background radiation. It is thought that the galaxies are moving away from each other and have been for a long time..for this reason we will never see anything more than green if you go that far back.

It's a galaxy. :) As Shelley said every point of light you see in the Hubble Ultra Deep Field is a galaxy or galaxy cluster... which is pretty awesome if you think about it. The faintest objects are some of the most distant (ie. oldest) galaxies ever seen!
You weren't supposed to spoil it for the one's who don't have telescopes :p Gosh now I gotta find something else.

Those pictures are awesome. My question is what was in there before the big bang. We can only see the light, right? How big is the darkness or whatever it is?

Now there's a question lol... and one I don't think we can ever answer - our understanding of the Universe is limited by how much of it we can observe. We can currently only detect EM radiation (though detecting gravitational waves is getting there, albeit by indirectly observing them), and nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum so what we can observe is limited by that constraint. This means we can never see beyond the 'obsevable universe'. What's even more mind blowing is that what we can 'see' constitutes only a tiny fraction of what the universe is made up of (~5%). The rest is unknown territory, though we have theories about what Dark Matter (~25% of the universe) is... but the vast majority (approx 75%) is 'Dark Energy' and we know very little about that!

Isok :-) I was totally kidding..... I just wanted to see if the exposure time was something take into consideration when looking at a visualization. It is great that I know who to ask a cosmic query of :coffee:.

What's even more mind blowing is that what we can 'see' constitutes only a tiny fraction of what the universe is made up of (~5%).

If we can't see it, how do we know we can only see 5% of it?

Quotes like "billions of galaxies" - how do we know that?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

Cheers,

I'll reply properly later as I'm meant to be sleeping (currently hanging out of bed and typing on my laptop on the floor by my bed lol) but it's to do with the mass-energy of the universe. ;)

Cheers,

The same reason why we know black holes exist. We can't see black holes directly but we can see the effects they have gravitationally on cosmic objects (when gases from nearby stars fall into the vicinity) we can't see it, but we can view the effects when it interacts with visible elements. Same principles at work here, theory as it there's not enough gravity to keep the galaxies together they should be flying apart due the speed of the inner part of the galaxy rotating at the same speed as the outer. There's an unseen mass at play here as theory goes keeping it all together first discovered by Vera Rubin.

Now there's a question lol... and one I don't think we can ever answer - our understanding of the Universe is limited by how much of it we can observe. We can currently only detect EM radiation (though detecting gravitational waves is getting there, albeit by indirectly observing them), and nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum so what we can observe is limited by that constraint. This means we can never see beyond the 'obsevable universe'. What's even more mind blowing is that what we can 'see' constitutes only a tiny fraction of what the universe is made up of (~5%). The rest is unknown territory, though we have theories about what Dark Matter (~25% of the universe) is... but the vast majority (approx 75%) is 'Dark Energy' and we know very little about that!

Good old Albert Einstein and his theories ( gravitational lensing) but he did also theorize that space itself as a construct and can expand and contract faster than the speed of light. I thought that the speed of light was only a barrier to things that existed inside of timespace and not the construct of timespace itself. Of course in theory.

OHH OHH We can't forget about axioms quarks quirks gravitons and my favorite tachyons while we are talking about mind bending things here:)

Good old Albert Einstein and his theories ( gravitational lensing) but he did also theorize that space itself as a construct can expand and contract faster than the speed of light. I thought that the speed of light was only a barrier to things that existed inside of timespace and not the construct of timespace itself. Of course in theory.

OHH OHH We can't forget about axioms quarks quirks gravitons and my favorite tachyons while we are talking about mind bending things here:)

And string theory. Mind boggling. :eek: :p

That Einstein lensing stuff ... it that related to the bending of space-time (and the resulting theories of time travel being potentially possible)?

..... and nothing can travel faster than the speed of light in a vacuum so what we can observe is limited by that constraint. This means we can never see beyond the 'obsevable universe'....
On such scale even the speed of light becomes "too slow". If someday we somehow manage to travel at the speed of light, it would take 100,000 years just to cross our own frog pond, Milky Way.

The way I look at the cosmos is the way I see my soul. Mystery and vastness. :)

"Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me"
Immanuel Kant, 18th century German philosopher

Cheers,
No, we don't know.
The sad thing is that we cannot even guess.
Where is the end? What is after that?
How long would it take to find out?
We will never know,no matter how smart we become.
The Universe is infinite,we like it or not.
The time in the Universe is infinite for us forward and backward,it simply does not exist.
Would you like to become crazy just as Einstein did while trying to figure it out?
albert-einstein5.jpg

Then it's time to get involved in heated debates about the size of the Universe-Cosmos. :)

ok I really have to stop reading this thread for now - you're stirring up thee passion in me - I'll never get back to sleep!:rolleyes:
You could probably afford to sleep...the stars have been around for a little while...I think they will wait until tomorrow for you.;)

And speaking of the devil....My space has been occupying time for 24 hours straight (earth time that is if you don't believe that everything has different time and it is relative, contact your local gps manufacturers satellite tech department or whatever it be and find out why the clocks operate at a diffenent rate to sync with earth time so it can pinpoint you ;-)) and I think it might be time to go for an all out sprint to get myself tuckered out. Nighters all.

Top Bottom