1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

purchasing add-ons

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Silverhair, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Silverhair

Silverhair Member

Hello, I am considering switching my forum to the latest xenforo version but have some questions I have not been able to answer to my liking yet...

Is there a list somewhere of standard features that come with the forum? ie: that you don't need to get by downloading an addon? I'm concerned that once I purchase the software at the initial cost, virtually all the features I would want on my forum will also cost me. These things add up. $50 for a gallery, $X custom sidebars, etc, etc...

Also, renewal time...is that just for support, or am I actually paying a yearly fee for the licence to use the software?

Ive done a lot of reading already, and messed around with the demo forum a bit, but as a novice forum operator, and having limited knowledge of code, a lot of this is daunting, so I do appreciate the help.

Lastly, I wonder if there might be some members here who now have criticisms or headaches to gripe about, (constructively), after having used the software for a bit, which might give me a better idea of what I might be getting myself into. Hindsight is 20/20 as they say.

Thanks in advance for your time,

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The renewal gets you updates and ticket support; you can run the software indefinitely.

There is no exhaustive feature list; just the demo. What features are you looking for?
  3. Silverhair

Silverhair Member

Hi Jeremy, thanks for the prompt reply. I don't have a definitive list of everything, but a lot of the features I am thinking of are basic user features with some back end stuff mixed in.

Some basic examples of these include:

- likes, friends, direct upload of images to a post rather than through a 3rd party site, member photo gallery,

- placing links to different pages or sites in advertisements with sliders or banners for example, a blog option, customizing the navigation bar/menu, private social groups, the pop up bubble w/description of a category/forum when you hover over it, a list of who has read or is reading a thread at the bottom of the page, responsive design, etc, etc

I presume the demo represents all standard features only, but in running a demo by myself its very time consuming and labor intensive to try to explore many of these options effectively over a short period, as a novice anyways...

Thanks in advance for your help,

4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Likes yes, friends no, but you can follow members.

Attaching (uploading) images directly to posts is possible.

Advertising is possible using the ad_* templates.

Customising templates is possible by editing them or via add-ons.

Anything you don't see in the demo, such as social groups, who has/is read(ing) a thread, etc. would need to be fulfilled via add-ons.

The FAQs in my signature cover a lot of common questions.