INDEPENDENCIA.jpg
OTROS.JPG
68,108 5.47%

TOTAL: 1,244,294
REPORTED POLLING STATIONS: 1511 OF 1643 FOR 91.97%
Last Change: Nov 7 2012 5:01AM

Source:
PHP:
http://www.ceepur.org/REYDI_NocheDelEvento/index.html#en/default/OPCIONES_NO_TERRITORIALES_ISLA.xml

You need to copy and past the link. A direct link just brings you back to the main home page

Both Mitt Romney and Obama said they would support the outcome of this vote. Now that Obama is re-elected, I would suspect he would continue to support this. Congress would still need to approve this, but I imagine that will come to pass as well.

Don't they need two thirds or more of the states to agree? I don't see that happening. Why would conservative states choose to dilute their power?

Don't they need two thirds or more of the states to agree? I don't see that happening. Why would conservative states choose to dilute their power?
Voting against statehood for Puerto Rico would be akin to political suicide, especially since both Obama and Romney (during their campaigns) specifically said they would support statehood for Puerto Rico.

wtf?

just arrange the stars into a tic tac toe pattern and get it over with. you know you want to America.

Canada want's to chip in Alberta (The province with the oil, and wants the pipeline).
Would the US consider Alberta the 52nd state ?
Why would canada want to give an area with oil? I would think it would be something where there is not much to loose..?

Both Mitt Romney and Obama said they would support the outcome of this vote. Now that Obama is re-elected, I would suspect he would continue to support this. Congress would still need to approve this, but I imagine that will come to pass as well.
I know some friends form there and they said that don't expect too much. It's non-binding and they have had these before. Also the new governor's party is against statehood as the previous governor what for statehood but was voted out. Most likely nothing will come of this. also my friends said that many of the ones voting for statehood do not know english well and/or want statehood solely for the additional federal aid.

Honestly don't think it will happen during this presidency or anytime soon.

A Canadian joke is that Alberta is so American they should just join the United States.
Alberta is rich with oil, more conservative, more rural, and has more guns than the rest of the provinces.

Why would canada want to give an area with oil? I would think it would be something where there is not much to loose..?

I know some friends form there and they said that don't expect too much. It's non-binding and they have had these before. Also the new governor's party is against statehood as the previous governor what for statehood but was voted out. Most likely nothing will come of this. also my friends said that many of the ones voting for statehood do not know english well and/or want statehood solely for the additional federal aid.

Honestly don't think it will happen during this presidency or anytime soon.
As a large chunk of the current government is being swap out; the current government may not move on this, but rather the next wave will. Not everyone got re-elected (a lot did not).

And just because the new PR Governor is not supportive of this, does not mean that things will not happen.... Remember the people of PR voted in favor of it, there is also large support for it here, and so now the rest of congress and the senate gets to chime in for the will of the people... He can be out voted. It's not like it hasn't happen before and we 50 states now as a result.

Won't happen. Too much poverty, language is problematic, and a combination of too populous combined with being too blue. Never gets approved in the House.

Won't happen. Too much poverty, language is problematic, and a combination of too populous combined with being too blue. Never gets approved in the House.

Perfect for Democrats to propose it and let the Dodo GOP, which just lost an election due to Hispanic vote, block it A win-win for Democrats. GOP goes further into the tank of being a shrinking, reactionary minority or Democrats gain two Senators and three House seats and five electoral votes. The GOP's demographic destiny as a fringe, white supremacist party made manifest.

Perfect for Democrats to propose it and let the Dodo GOP, which just lost an election due to Hispanic vote, block it A win-win for Democrats. GOP goes further into the tank of being a shrinking, reactionary minority or Democrats gain two Senators and three House seats and five electoral votes. The GOP's demographic destiny as a fringe, white supremacist party made manifest.

Wait...are we talking about DC?
If that's the case, I agree that the likelihood of that happening is very low, but not for the reason Fred listed. The founders were very clear about their intent for a federal district as the seat of government separate from any state (See Federalist 43). The reasons they listed are just as valid today, namely that the seat of the government should not have to rely on the will of a particular state to conduct its operations, which can run contrary to the will of the federal government. Essentially, a state would be given control over the federal government on matters of taxation, police, etc. Congress is not about to hand over federal sovereignty to the will of a new state, nor do I see them giving the DC city council any more power than they currently have. Do I think it's fair that citizens of DC pay full taxes and have less representation, of course not! But, DC is serving its purpose as a federal district. IMO, the good bulk of DC residents have the ability to move outside the city to Maryland or Virginia with relative ease if they want to be part of a state. The DC metro system and metro bus system extend for miles into Virginia and Maryland, and apartment and housing rates are pretty much the same (except in the Arlington suburbs, those are crazy).

-Source: BA Poli Sci and someone who has lived in DC previously.

To bring the topic back...

Anyone have an opinion on the timeline for Congress to act? At minimum, I don't see any movement until late next year, both because of the formalities that need to be worked out between Congress and Puerto Rico and also that little fiscal trouble we're in.

Wait...are we talking about DC?

Nope. Puerto Rico which voted for statehood.

With the beating the GOP took with Latino voters in 2012, if they turn down PR statehood, they will be punished and lose. If they approve PR statehood, they lose, 2 million more Latino voters, two more Democratic Senators and probably three Democratic House members.

Top Bottom