Proxy Detection

James

OK, so there's not much we can do about proxies these days but there are certain (slightly useless) things we can do such as HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and checking if the referrer is from a proxy URL...

Does XF utilise these things to detect proxy servers, or did they decide proxies aren't such a bad thing after all? ;)

I find proxy detection to be efficient. Even if nothing is actually done about it, just make it visible.

"THIS USER IS BROWSING VIA A PROXY" kinda thing. I get sick of banning duplicate accounts because of ban evaders.

I find proxy detection to be efficient. Even if nothing is actually done about it, just make it visible.

"THIS USER IS BROWSING VIA A PROXY" kinda thing. I get sick of banning duplicate accounts because of ban evaders.
For the record, I use a Proxy on certain forums to mask my identity and not for ban evasion. I think Proxy's are a great thing. Just want to throw this into the topic.

I find just identifying the proxy accounts would be sufficient. Displaying a notice or something. Forums that allow them can disable it or just do nothing.
I don't think there is any forum software out there right now that does what you're asking. At least, none of the major ones. Something like this, in my opinion, would be better left for a modification.

Just because it doesn't do it, doesn't mean it's not a good idea :P We can't efficiently block them, but we can block basic ones using HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and checking referrers.

Just because it doesn't do it, doesn't mean it's not a good idea :p We can't efficiently block them, but we can block basic ones using HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and checking referrers.
You do realize that almost anybody savvy enough to understand what a Proxy is and how to properly use one also knows how easily they can simply call their ISP and have their IP address changed which would in turn nullify any potential benefit of this?

You do realize that almost anybody savvy enough to understand what a Proxy is and how to properly use one also knows how easily they can simply call their ISP and have their IP address changed which would in turn nullify any potential benefit of this?
Yes, but we also can't assume that everyone is tech-savvy. A lot of kids in schools use a proxy to bypass their school filters, a lot of them have no idea how it works and just ask for a simple solution to a problem.

We shouldn't assume that everyone is tech-savvy. If we did, why would we spend so much time on our products making them user-friendly to the newest of internet users? 

Yes, but we also can't assume that everyone is tech-savvy. A lot of kids in schools use a proxy to bypass their school filters, a lot of them have no idea how it works and just ask for a simple solution to a problem.

We shouldn't assume that everyone is tech-savvy. If we did, why would we spend so much time on our products making them user-friendly to the newest of internet users?
10 years ago, I may have agreed with this. With today's high tech world though, I can't. The children today are too wired and too immersed in technology. A simple google search for 'ban evasion' brings up detailed how-to methods as well.

Indeed, but this added piece of code prevents the use of the crap proxies, basically.
A lot of our youngsters are indeed becoming more immersed in technology as technology advances, but that doesn't mean we can't add prevention methods for 'just in case' measures.

We do a lot of things in life that can be easily bypassed, but we still do them. You mentioned earlier that IPs can be changed so easily by ringing the ISP, but we still identify users by their IP address to an extent.

Does it add any overhead to do the various lookups, etc.?

I could see an icon under Who's Online for each user who is detected as being from a proxy. That should be enough if you are on the prowl for ban evaders.

OK, so there's not much we can do about proxies these days but there are certain (slightly useless) things we can do such as HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and checking if the referrer is from a proxy URL...

Does XF utilise these things to detect proxy servers, or did they decide proxies aren't such a bad thing after all? ;)

I like it

Top Bottom