1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

programmers are bees

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jake Bunce, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

An amusing analogy that holds a lot of truth.

2. Enigma

Enigma Well-Known Member

The internet must be a small place. I just saw that article recently. :)
  3. Jerry

Jerry Well-Known Member

"And the marketers, comfortable now because they're surrounded by power neckties and they have things under control, are baffled that each new iteration of their software loses market share as the code bloats and the bugs proliferate. Got to get some better packaging. Yeah, that's it."

I've seen that far too many times, I tend to blog about it semi-regularly.

Though there can be a balance in a hive and with out the arrogant cowboy elitist coder, I've seen on balance they do more harm than good. Also there is typically no role for management of the creativity side of software, leadership is a shared role amongst most productive software teams and the only "suits" in the org should understand they are facilitators and there to keep paper work and the day to day away from development. And in turn development communicates what is going on to the buisness and community.

Either way, It's how I approach things now.
    Kuma likes this.
  4. Tigratrus

Tigratrus Well-Known Member

Totally agreed. To grossly simplify: Suits. That's what kills good coding groups, or hives if you will ;).
  5. Dean

Dean Well-Known Member

6. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

This basically sums it up in a nice package.
  7. Greg

Greg Active Member

Orson Scott Card's a great writer when he doesn't get too philosophical.
  8. CBI Web

CBI Web Well-Known Member

Yup. If it wasn't for the "suits", I'd be much further along than I am now. But hey, I can has code.
  9. Mez

Mez Member

I was expecting something different of this thread, then I re-read the title and saw that it read "bees" not "beers"
  10. The Sandman

The Sandman Well-Known Member

Yeah, and he has a thing for insects.
  11. Kuma

Kuma Active Member

Me also
  12. Greg

Greg Active Member

Now, if only he stuck with that thing, and never added in the whole part with the pig people.