XF 1.4 Problems with setting permissions and installing

Delly

I purchased Xenforo today and am in the process of getting it all set up with BlueHost. After a few phone calls with them, I'm now at a place where the following instructions are confusing:

3. Setting Permissions

Once the files are finished uploading, you must set permissions (or CHMOD) several places. This is necessary to ensure that XenForo can write to those parts of your server. You can usually do this with your FTP client.

1. In the set of files and directories you just uploaded, you will see 2 folders: data andinternal_data.
  2. These two directories must be set to world writeable (CHMOD 0777) or give the IUSR_ Full Control in Windows.
Keep your FTP client open; you may still need it for the next step.

I've completed the MySQL information and somehow don't have this part completed yet. When I read these directions over the phone to the tech person at Bluehost, he was saying that some of it's not relevant because the numbers are different.

Maybe it's because step 3 is messed up, step 4 isn't working. :eek: I typed in the www.yoursite.com/community/install (but used my own site name) and I kept getting an error message saying there were too many install redirects. BlueHost says it's a problem with Xenforo but I'm thinking it's because my step 3 is wrong.

I'm VERY new to this and need some more clearer and precise directions if at all possible. Thanks much!

It is very relevant, this is setting read/write permissions on these folders. If they are set incorrectly then things won't work. You need to set these to 0777 as stated. However, depending on your hosting setup you may have to set them to 0755 instead (I do for my site). Your web host should be able to advise on this.

It is very relevant, this is setting read/write permissions on these folders. If they are set incorrectly then things won't work. You need to set these to 0777 as stated. However, depending on your hosting setup you may have to set them to 0755 instead (I do for my site). Your web host should be able to advise on this.
That's good to know. However, I have no idea where to even go to follow these directions.

The two directories stated in the instructions.

You should be able to CHMOD from the FTP client you are using. You'll need to read the FTP client documentation on how to do this.

OK... I found these two folders in my C-Panel and see where the numbers are supposed to go
I don't use Filezilla but no doubt like all programs it'll have a help menu and/or there will be a manual on their website.
I actually went into my c-panel and found something there. The numbers were set at 0755 so I'm changing both to 0777. Once I've done that, do I install?

I followed these instructions:

4. Installing

Now you are ready to begin the XenForo installer program.

1. Direct your browser to the install directory within the URL that corresponds to your upload. (e.g., www.example.com/community/install/).
I typed in www.freefromverbalabuse.com/community/install and I get this message:

The webpage athttp://www.freefromverbalabuse.com/...all/install/install/install/install/index.php has resulted in too many redirects. Clearing your cookies for this site or allowing third-party cookies may fix the problem. If not, it is possibly a server configuration issue and not a problem with your computer.

Learn more about this problem.
Error code: ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS

I guess my question now is... how do you direct your browser to the install directory? I assumed that you just typed the information in and it goes there. But, maybe not?

Have you created a database, a database user and password, and given the user full control on the database?

If not, you will need to do that.

OK... I'm now at the set up administrator part. In doing this, what is typical to use for that name? Can I use the same username for that as I do the Xenforo site or should I use something different?

It is the name you will use to log on to the forum with - like the user name "Delly" you use here.

Or you can reserve that account as the master super administrator, and create another daily use account for yourself later.

It is the name you will use to log on to the forum with - like the user name "Delly" you use here.

Or you can reserve that account as the master super administrator, and create another daily use account for yourself later.
So, the passwords and everything will be the same as what I login with? That means when I log into my Xenforo account, I'll actually be logging in as the administrator?

In step 4 of the installation process, I was supposed to do these things but nothing like that ever showed up. However, it's done installing so did it do this automatically for me then? I'm assuming that if the install is working, then these steps aren't needed?
  1. Once these details are provided, a configuration file will be generated. In most cases, you will have to upload this to your server manually.
  2. Download the file generated by the installer and save it to your computer. It should be called config.php.
  3. Use your FTP client to upload this into the library directory that you uploaded in step 2.
  4. Once the file is uploaded, you may proceed with the installation.
Once the installation is complete, you can log in to your XenForo control panel and begin configuring it.

Top Bottom