Proactive vs. Reactive

Nebulous

c1xWO7u.jpg

Should forum staff be proactive or reactive when they're alerted of a potentially troublesome members?

In this context, "proactive" means they received a tip from a reputable member (or maybe an admin from another forum) and banned that potentially troublesome member immediately, before they could have the chance to wreak havoc on the forum.

"Reactive" means the staff team will handle issues if and when they happen. Things that happen on other outside forums are out of their jurisdiction & they only take action based on what happens "in house."

Reactive is the only way.

Would we really stand for locking up kids because some "reputable" person says that they'd grow up to be a criminal? I don't think so. Innocent until they commit a crime and are proven guilty.

Reactive.

Some of my best forum members are those that have been banned by another forum.

People can change.

At my forum we have a "wait & see" approach when we're alerted of a potentially troublesome member. We allow them to be there and we wait to see if they start messing up. If they decide to be a good member there and not cause problems, then all is well.

Not sure if the "proactive approach" is exactly fair or the best way to do things.

Sometimes attempting to be proactive results in more problems (such as staff having to deal with a disgruntled person who feels slighted and may want to seek revenge).

My staff is proactive in identifying potentially troublesome members, and we discuss our impressions based on his existing posts and potential actions, so if he crosses the line, anyone of us can react and take action immediately.

As an example, we currently have a member who's toeing the line by asking questions on how to bypass CE device certification in the repair of an item in an effort to improve it. My staff is viewing this as an attempt at trolling the engineers on our site who actually helped write some of these electrical codes. He has been warned that posts advising people to bypass CE mark cert by changing out parts will result in a ban. Our staff has agreed that as soon as he goes from a hypothetical discussion to providing a real-life example/details, then he's gone.

My staff is proactive in identifying potentially troublesome members, and we discuss our impressions based on his existing posts and potential actions, so if he crosses the line, anyone of us can react and take action immediately.

As an example, we currently have a member who's toeing the line by asking questions on how to bypass CE device certification in the repair of an item in an effort to improve it. My staff is viewing this as an attempt at trolling the engineers on our site who actually helped write some of these electrical codes. He has been warned that posts advising people to bypass CE mark cert by changing out parts will result in a ban. Our staff has agreed that as soon as he goes from a hypothetical discussion to providing a real-life example/details, then he's gone.

Off topic a little, but isn't what he's promoting illegal?

Off topic a little, but isn't what he's promoting illegal?
He's making the argument that he's improving the product. As long as he removes the CE mark, since it's now materially different than the way CE approved it, then it's not illegal. If he sells it, even if he removes the CE mark, that's illegal. But as long as he keeps it himself, it's not illegal, but any issues or accidents involving that fixture could move the liability from insurance to the venue owner. (this is the point we are pushing, aside from the fact that it's dangerous and he's an idiot). FYI, we closed the thread where he discusses this and hid some of the content, only keeping the original question and the serious warnings our community posted.

He's making the argument that he's improving the product. As long as he removes the CE mark, since it's now materially different than the way CE approved it, then it's not illegal. If he sells it, even if he removes the CE mark, that's illegal. But as long as he keeps it himself, it's not illegal, but any issues or accidents involving that fixture could move the liability from insurance to the venue owner. (this is the point we are pushing, aside from the fact that it's dangerous and he's an idiot). FYI, we closed the thread where he discusses this and hid some of the content, only keeping the original question and the serious warnings our community posted.

You're a lot more lenient than I am then, I'd have banned him outright.

Top Bottom