1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Private threads??

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by strongarm_playa, Mar 19, 2013.

1. strongarm_playa

strongarm_playa Active Member

Is it possible to create private threads? Instead of making the whole forum private. Just make a thread private.

2. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Private Conversations, just invite the people you want to participate in it?

3. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Permissions - View threads by others

4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

What permissions would accomplish this Brogan? I'm looking at node permissions, and all I see is View threads by others and View thread content. I can see these being used if you want only yourself or a specific group to be able to view/reply, but what about more granular control, such as only allowing specific members to view / reply?

strongarm_playa likes this.
  5. strongarm_playa

Okay.. I want visitors to still see into the forums. But I want to be able to make a thread private or maybe set it to registered members only. A private conversation is not what I want to do and I don't want to take away the option to view the thread title. Just the content is what I want to remove them from seeing

6. strongarm_playa

YES!! This is what im talking about.

7. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

This is do-able via permission on the node, and on a per group basis.

You can set View threads by others: to Allow and set View thread content: to revoke and they will still be able to see the threads in the node, but will get an error when trying to view the tread discussion

8. strongarm_playa

point me in the right direction,

but I would really like to just set this for certain threads.

9. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

node.PNG

But that applies it to the whole node for that user group. I'm not sure you can do it on a per thread basis.

strongarm_playa likes this.
  10. strongarm_playa

Why don't I have that option?
    NO_OPTION.PNG

11. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Because that is the permissions for the User Group. You need to set the permissions on the specific node.

ACP --> Applications --> Node Permissions

You'll then see the node tree

node_tree.PNG

Click Permissions for the node you want
    You'll then see a list of groups
    node_group.PNG

Click the group to get their permissions for that specific node.

12. strongarm_playa

ok..this will work for now. But for future forum updates, I would love to see a add-on or feature that would allow you to create a new thread and decide if it should be viewable by certain groups. Would be a great addition I think

MattW likes this.