Private Forums/Privacy Settings/Subscriptions

jadmperry

Okay folks, need some help with some ideas...I am admitting upfront that I am not sure the best way to accomplish what I am asking about and there are probably several ways to accomplish this. That said, what I am thinking about is the following:

I have a forum where people have concerns about posting private or confidential information. The forum (with the exception of donations) is completely not monetized now. I get questions all the time about privacy of information, requests to remove posts because they contain private info (posted by the member, of course, and then on later reflection, they want it removed), and daily PC's regarding substantive questions. I am thinking about the feasibility/possibility of the following:

Ability for users to set privacy settings (like facebook has, the ability of members to set who can read/see their posts (either on a usergroup level, or ideally with the option to select individual users who can view/respond). Ideally with paid subscription option (i.e., I can charge for this option).

Ability to set up (on subscription/paid upgrade for user) their own forum (or access to a particular forum where only select members can see or post). If it is access to a paid members area, the member should be able to specify who can read/respond (with ability to charge member for this option). None of these posts/forums should be crawled/accessible to search engines.

An option to charge for ability to edit posts or even to erase accounts. This would be an upgrade from basic account where they cannot (I am looking to automate this to relieve me from responding to requests and to secondarily monetize the site).

An option to pay/charge for ability to send PCs (on either the basis of to individual members that I specify, or perhaps just a set number of PC's...e.g., maybe I have a "pool of experts" whom they can PC, or a charge for set number of PCs....like send x number of PCs that have priority (somewhat like a "ticket"

Overall, I am thinking something like this- Registration/use of site is free. Users then have additional upgrade options to:
Have a semi-private forum where only paid members can post/respond. (Again, not seen by search engines).

Have a completely private forum (though, I am not sure how this is much different than PCs) for members to interact with specified members. An upgrade/additional charge for this.

Have an ability to charge for "dedicated" support via PC on a paid basis (not sure if set to number of tickets, or timed subscription).

Ability to charge for granting privilege to self edit/erase content and/or content.

Ability to set ads per type of paid account/subscription (perhaps with opt in to ads of interest...i.e., if the member is interested in more info about a subject, I can direct ads to them)...Or perhaps the reverse, payment for elimination of ads.

I realize I am asking about different functions here and have several different ideas proposed. That said, I would be willing to pay a reasonable rate for someone who could code this general idea.

Any thoughts? Are there solutions already out there to accomplish this?

Thinking about this some more, I would love it if a tab with the semi-private and private forums could be added, too. Thoughts?

Ability for users to set privacy settings (like facebook has, the ability of members to set who can read/see their posts (either on a usergroup level, or ideally with the option to select individual users who can view/respond).
^^^This is the only thing I need right here.

looking also for the abiliy to charge users for using Personal Conversations and am also looking for the ability to let users decide whether their thread is visible or hidden to the public (search-engines).

Any ideas or inputs on this thread? I am not trying (too hard) to shamelessly bump, just looking for ideas/solutions. (Or maybe I am shamelessly bumping :) ).

Paid subscriptions are pretty useless now. Until we can offer people something they are willing to pay for (like what was listed above), the full power of Xenforo and community building as a serious business proposition will never be realized. Adsense ads and sponsorships can only take you so far.

Top Bottom