1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Privacy Rights

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by FreshFroot, Mar 6, 2012.

1. FreshFroot

FreshFroot Well-Known Member

So I am doing a survey and wanted to get as many opinions as possible.

How many of agree or disagree that your privacy is being invaded when a company sells it's customer data to a 3rd party, and you happen to be a customer of theirs?

And do you feel it is ethical or not ethical ?

An example might be if a doctor prescribes you a prescription and then a marketing company is able to buy that data off the doctor only regarding the prescriptions. And, then later is able to sell it to various pharmaceutical companies.

Cheers.

2. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Anything medical, I would say agreed, privacy is invaded, as every aspect of medical is in-confidence, even medication prescribed. That is a clear unethical violation of a persons medical privacy IMHO.

3. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

At least in the US, the scenario is unrealistic as it is a violation of HIPAA. The medical community takes this very serious. If you have any doubt, call the hospital sometime when a friend or relative is in. They won't tell you anything. Just to have your family doctor leave test results on voicemail requires you to complete a form authorizing them to do so.

4. mcrider

mcrider Member

5. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

So what? Patient identification is removed and they are protected per HIPAA. Do I care about the doctor? No, not really. A doctor has no expectation to privacy in the performance of the duties of his profession.

6. 0xym0r0n

0xym0r0n Well-Known Member

It depends on the situation when a company sells my information. When I read the privacy agreement and it states it will not be sold to any 3rd party companies... I assume by agreeing to it that my privacy by their policy is being kept.

When a company sells it and their privacy policy made no such guarantee of my information being safe... that's when i start pulling out the fake info like 1234 fakeado avenue. Janet Doehellno.

If there is no privacy policy i go with the honesty policy... I believe in the better, or at least hope.
    I think selling private information is a cheap tactic for monetary gain, but as long as I am aware of how my information is handled I am okay. I have some degree of involvement in my information being kept away from 3rd parties.