Implemented  Previewing a Thread

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
No more mouseover ones please lol the home page one is annoying

I agree, the forumdescriptions are better served at static text instead of this mouseover implementation. Because people need to see the forum descriptions at a glance in 1 go to decide which forum they need/want to use.

I hated this in vB, was awful and hard to implement and slowed down loading a lot.

I miss it now, because I really got used to it. Having said that: it's not essential and I could live without. Not as much as I could live without Internet Brands' vB4 (and very happily so), but still... ;)

I don't think the cost/gain-relation on this would be worth it, tbh. Pulling all the data, then you need to process it properly in case there are images or other bbcode and stuff... that's pretty intensive. Don't know whether this could be cached properly.

I hated this in vB, was awful and hard to implement and slowed down loading a lot.

I don't think the cost/gain-relation on this would be worth it, tbh. Pulling all the data, then you need to process it properly in case there are images or other bbcode and stuff... that's pretty intensive. Don't know whether this could be cached properly.

People were talking about having it display after a one-second timeout and such. How about loading the preview via AJAX on demand and not do all the extra processing ahead of time for all threads on the page?

I really like the vb style thread previews. It saves screen space but the info is there in case you are curious to see a little more about it before clicking.

I guess it would be useful to have a preview of a thread (first post only) when you mouseover a topic on forum display.

As long as it doesn't use the quotes from users. Like on Kier's postings, it all starts with quotes, so it looks like Kier said the things that users got wrong. And since it's trimmed, it doesn't show Kier's reply.

Some of the thread titles are *really* not descriptive as of late. In addition, and possibly much more importantly, as people get tired after viewing a forum such as this a thread preview jogs the memory of what the thread is about.

One example might be trying to follow certain threads when certain people post to them. Kier may have made a post in a thread and the preview would allow my feeble memory to say 'oh yeah! I should go back and see what is being discussed!'

Top Bottom