Prevent guests/users from using proxies at your forum [Deleted]

Hi Borbole,

Sorry for asking the following questions, but I am not experienced or knowledgeable at all of how "Proxies" work, etc.

Is there any "downside" or would there be any "issues" when using this Add-on?
e.g. regarding SEO, ht-access, slower website loading-times, security of my Forum, isues when accessing my Forum via WIFI-connection or via mobile, etc. ?
I mean: will regular users who do not use a Proxy, will encounter any issues in registering?

Are only "bad" users who want to anonymize their identity using "Proxies" or are average internet-users also using Proxies?

How to include the "Proxies" mentioned by "TheVisitors" in the post above?

Many thanks for providing this add-on!

Hi Borbole,

Sorry for asking the following questions, but I am not experienced or knowledgeable at all of how "Proxies" work, etc.

Is there any "downside" or would there be any "issues" when using this Add-on?
e.g. regarding SEO, ht-access, slower website loading-times, security of my Forum, isues when accessing my Forum via WIFI-connection or via mobile, etc. ?
I mean: will regular users who do not use a Proxy, will encounter any issues in registering?

Are only "bad" users who want to anonymize their identity using "Proxies" or are average internet-users also using Proxies?

How to include the "Proxies" mentioned by "TheVisitors" in the post above?

Many thanks for providing this add-on!

Hi Erich,

No, the regular users who do not use proxies will not encounter any issues. However, if some of them use the open ports blocked by my mod then they will be affected too.

About including the other port mentioned above, you can download and install the package that the TheVisitors uploaded.

However, if some of them use the open ports blocked by my mod then they will be affected too.
yeah, sure I understand this.

The question is:
are average internet users using any "open ports" - even when they are not being aware of ? Like e.g. when they are sitting in a cafe and using a WIFI-connection?

I mean: will installing this add-on do more harm than good or will it effectively provide an added-value by blocking scammers ?

You sure blocking all anonymous proxy is possible. I've found some free proxy sites in the past, they just seem more or less impossible to stop.

Hide My Ass - was one that appears hard to block.

yeah, sure I understand this.

The question is:
are average internet users using any "open ports" - even when they are not being aware of ? Like e.g. when they are sitting in a cafe and using a WIFI-connection?

I mean: will installing this add-on do more harm than good or will it effectively provide an added-value by blocking scammers ?

Erich, if a legit user is using any of those ports then yes they will be blocked too. It is my understanding that 80 and 443 are regular open proxy ports. And if the IP address of the computer is coming from computer that has those ports open means that the user is behind a proxy. But that is not always 100% true. For example, a lot of Universities or Companies, access the web through a gateway proxy. So any user conencted from there will be blocked as well from my mod. For more have a look here:

http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-80--US-nossl.htm

http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-port-443.htm

You sure blocking all anonymous proxy is possible. I've found some free proxy sites in the past, they just seem more or less impossible to stop.

Hide My Ass - was one that appears hard to block.

You can''t block all proxies, that is impossible. For Hide My Ass btw from what I remember it is blocked by my mod.

I want to disable user registrations from proxies but not disable viewing the forums with proxies - is that possible?

Does it work with VPN like PerfectPrivacy? Or how can i ban this ".Perfect-Privacy.com" Hostmask?
Most VPN's do not use those ports calling out, but may use them for YOU to connect to them. So the VPN is using standard port 80 (do not block that) and so doesn't count as a proxy.

Question:

Why should I not block port 80?

Answer:

Because everyone (including the web site its self) uses port 80.
You'd be blocking everyone. Do not do it.

I installed this and used it just fine. I tested it with HMA and it worked just fine. I love the ability to let them view the website but not allow them to register. This is one step closer to the security I am looking for.

Let's clarify: this plugin works by blocking all incoming traffic coming from host:80, or host:443, yes?

Source:
Erich, if a legit user is using any of those ports then yes they will be blocked too. It is my understanding that 80 and 443 are regular open proxy ports. And if the IP address of the computer is coming from computer that has those ports open means that the user is behind a proxy. But that is not always 100% true. For example, a lot of Universities or Companies, access the web through a gateway proxy. So any user conencted from there will be blocked as well from my mod. For more have a look here:

http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-80--US-nossl.htm

http://www.xroxy.com/proxy-port-443.htm

Top Bottom