XF 1.4 Prevent admins from hard deleting?

Glockie

Hello,
I have the option for admins to be unable to hard delete and as super mods, to also be unable to hard delete.
or so I thought!

An admin for various reasons actually hard deleted some things and of course I can't do anything about it.
How do we stop administrators from actually hard deleting posts and threads, even if they themselves created the thread?

It's been done even though I have the option disabled...
Many thanks in advance.

Okay thank you, yes threads have been removed and I am unimpressed.
The usergroup admins must be edited or is it custom permissions?

If I adjust the usergroup, can the superadmin still hard delete afterwards? (prob a silly question but still..)

Hello,
I have the option for admins to be unable to hard delete and as super mods, to also be unable to hard delete.
or so I thought!

An admin for various reasons actually hard deleted some things and of course I can't do anything about it.
How do we stop administrators from actually hard deleting posts and threads, even if they themselves created the thread?

It's been done even though I have the option disabled...
Many thanks in advance.

If the permissions are set up correctly then they should not be able to hard delete threads. Anyway, if you want to expand on that it would require a custom mod.

Another thing to consider is to clone threads of an usergroup to another forum, a backup forum if you will. So if anything like that happenes again, you can simply move the clone thread in place. It will require a custom addon as well.

You can still hard delete if you either set up another user group that you add yourself to (and anyone else you wish) that has the hard delete permission. I do it this way as there are several hard delete and other permissions that I have along with my partner. Alternatively, give yourself the hard delete permissions in ACP > Users > Moderators

Last edited:
You can still hard delete if you either set up another user group that you add yourself to (and anyone else you wish) that has the hard delete permission. I do it this way as there are several hard delete and other permissions that I have along with my partner. Alternatively, give yourself the hard delete permissions in ACP > Users > User Permissions

Yeah what's caught me is this;
I've added someone in a usergroup 'admin'
This person has then seen it within their own right to hard delete posts, without my knowledge!
Even though, the option is unavailable to them?

Amazed to say the least...

Being a super admin doesn't grant you any permissions on the forum. Being a moderator and/or being in a user group that has moderating permissions does.

I've added someone in a usergroup 'admin'
This person has then seen it within their own right to hard delete posts, without my knowledge!
Even though, the option is unavailable to them?
If the Admin user group has hard delete permissions then anyone in that group will be able to hard delete. If it doesn't have hard delete permissions then a user in that group can't hard delete from permissions assigned in that group. If they can hard delete, they have gained those permissions from elsewhere. You need to determine where you have assigned those permissions. Is it from another user group, or have you assigned the permissions in ACP > Users > Moderators?

Yes I think it's from something else. Just checked and it seems to be assigned from a different usergroup.
The only way to track it was by assigning a dummy account with the same permissions, and I managed to find it.

Thank you for your input all.

Just a note, if you give someone ACP access to manage users (and permissions), they can grant themselves permissions to hard delete and remove them afterwards.

Top Bottom