XF 1.5 Prevent about box spam

TheLaw

Not surprising that the About box and every other field is being used to inject BBCode. Is there a way to prevent the use of BBcode in any of the profile fields, especially the about box? Spammers don't care about nofollow links. They will sell this junk to customers as a link and talk about benefits of ratios that Google uses, etc. doesn't matter if it's the truth. Right now I'm using mysql to filter the database but would prefer to prevent this stuff from the start. Perhaps I missed a setting.

One option is to prevent profile editing for new members and only allow it for 'trusted' members who are automatically promoted to a user groups which permits it after x posts/days/etc.

One option is to prevent profile editing for new members and only allow it for 'trusted' members who are automatically promoted to a user groups which permits it after x posts/days/etc.
Thanks Brogan. I had thought about that but it just doesn't work in a number of contexts. In addition, I get many retroactive edits and users themselves may not know we don't have links in the about areas or any text field. Just have to disable bbcode or bbcode parsing as the general about box and profile fields have always been killer spam magnets.

Top Bottom