[Pre Sales Question] Xenforo accommodating anonymous members

Brett Peters

I am currently looking into a new project/forum which will enable a voice for a community that by nature is somewhat paranoid, And by doing so I probably need to reinsure users with some anonymity mesures. :rolleyes:

I understand that XenForo is not by any means built for this purpose (sorry Kier & Mike) and before I ask questions I would like to state that paranoid by nature does not imply illegal.

So now for my questions:
  1. Am I able to disable XenForo Database IP logging ? and how ?
  2. Anything else beside XF IP logging that I should be looking at regarding user anonymity ?
  3. If yes, then what admin aspects would this affect (I am guessing the usual like spam, IP blocking..)

If your users want anonymity then they probably don't want their e-mail on your site either.

As far as anonymity goes, nothing XenForo logs can personally identify a user, except an e-mail address.

If your users want anonymity then they probably don't want their e-mail on your site either.

As far as anonymity goes, nothing XenForo logs can personally identify a user, except an e-mail address.

I dont see a problem with user inputed email as I will be suggesting ten minute email or simular to sign up and board emails will otherwise be disabled. (I couldn't see that many going for those extreme measures)

IP logging would be an issue though

I dont suppose you could share a tad bit more information so that I could get a better understanding of what you mean ?

As for your other post I will defiantly not be using any unnecessary third partys like Facebook, Twitter, Adsence, Paypal and so on. Server logging I am not really concerned with :censored:
This add-on owerwrites the logIp method and returns a false result..:D

That's not a very clean way, BUT it's IMO easier and covers also all add-ons which are using the xenforo ip model to log the ips

Attachments

This add-on owerwrites the logIp method and returns a false result..:D

That's not a very clean way, BUT it's IMO better then overwriting the discussion DW to disable IP logging (because not all add-ons which are storing messages are using the discussion dw^^)
Thanks ragtek, This hopefully will get me across the line so to speak

Top Bottom