Posts that recognize spaces inserted by user

jauburn

I run a popular poetry site, where authors need the ability to have the text that they type displayed exactly the way that they type it, with spaces, etc. I notice that this forum software automatically removes extra spaces, so one could not compose an e.e.cummings-like poem and have it represented accurately unless it were turned into a graphic.

Is there a way to get this editor to preserve spaces?

Also, is there a way to change the size of the editor window? I do like vB4's new ability to drag the editor to make it longer.

And is there a way to have a fluid width forum with xenForo?

You can use preserved formatting to retain spaces, but you would need a BB Code or post HTML add-on.

The editor window can be resized by editing the code.

Fluid width can be defined in the ACP very easily.

Would this add-on be invisible to the user?

Probably not. It would be a special BB code in the post.

You can also use the CODE tag. It's designed for code and not poetry, but it uses preformatted text which preserves all spacing:

Code:
adsflkpj     adsfasd
              adsfasdfadsfadfs  adsfadfs 

asdfads  a sd adfs d      asdffasdfsda

Probably not. It would be a special BB code in the post.

You can also use the CODE tag. It's designed for code and not poetry, but it uses preformatted text which preserves all spacing:

Code:
adsflkpj    adsfasd
              adsfasdfadsfadfs  adsfadfs

asdfads  a sd adfs d      asdffasdfsda

Yeah, that's not cool. No poet wants to see his work in a "code" box.

The BB Code add-on is here, I use it myself and have designed a pre tag for the same reason: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/bbcode-manager.5657/

The post HTML add-on is here: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/parsehtml-permission-enabled-html-bbcode.8262/

So somebody clue me in. Right now the site is using the free SMF (simple machines) software. Spaces are preserved, and everything works to the users' satisfaction, post-wise.

What's different about that software that allows spaces to be retained?

Yeah, that's not cool. No poet wants to see his work in a "code" box.
you can chage the phrase for 'code' to 'poem' or whatever youd like, and the actual box can be styled as well. you could use a special font in there, change colours/textures, make it look like typeface on paper or script on parchment, etc.
there are numerous cool ways to present poetry in a post that are sexier than a simple post.

you can chage the phrase for 'code' to 'poem' or whatever youd like, and the actual box can be styled as well. you could use a special font in there, change colours/textures, make it look like typeface on paper or script on parchment, etc.
there are numerous cool ways to present poetry in a post that are sexier than a simple post.

That sounds promising.

Let's see...

Code:
this is
  a    poem
        with      some
  funky      spacing

that
must
  be
    pre
served

How about if I don't want to display "code" or "poem" at all, but just the text?

Also, does this software have a CMS? We need a "front page" poem each week, as well as ads or space for them.

We need a way to "promote" a poem to the "featured work" page (front page). That's why I was looking for a CMS. Been trying to like vB4, but it is really god-awful software seemingly built for computers rather than humans.

The style editing system is something out of Hell. Has to have been designed by idiots in alignment with the devil himself. Or just plain out of touch.

We need a way to "promote" a poem to the "featured work" page (front page). That's why I was looking for a CMS. Been trying to like vB4, but it is really god-awful software seemingly built for computers rather than humans.

The style editing system is something out of Hell. Has to have been designed by idiots in alignment with the devil himself. Or just plain out of touch.
the portal addon brogan linked is great. its what i use on my own site. it would be easy to promote poems to the front page using that. in fact, as an admin you have a 'promote this' button in every thread. you click it and the thread is posted to the front of the site.
as for the code thing, i spent 5 minutes styling and changed the way code output appears
http://demo.xenforo.com/?d=2c68d9fac1e67d14
ive posted a poem there (by perhaps the best writer ever imho)
while it may not be exactly what you had in mind, it does go to show how dramatic a change 5 minutes styling can produce!

btw, you can log into the demo i linked using the user/pass admin/admin and try the styling for yourself. its a world apart from vb4

the portal addon brogan linked is great. its what i use on my own site. it would be easy to promote poems to the front page using that. in fact, as an admin you have a 'promote this' button in every thread. you click it and the thread is posted to the front of the site.
as for the code thing, i spent 5 minutes styling and changed the way code output appears
http://demo.xenforo.com/?d=2c68d9fac1e67d14
ive posted a poem there (by perhaps the best writer ever imho)
while it may not be exactly what you had in mind, it does go to show how dramatic a change 5 minutes styling can produce!

btw, you can log into the demo i linked using the user/pass admin/admin and try the styling for yourself. its a world apart from vb4

This link is not working for me, and I would like to see what you did. Could you perhaps update this or let me know how you styled this?

Thanks.

Top Bottom