XF 2.0 Posts numbers being doubled and inserted out of order in an extremely large thread

Warchamp7

Starting with post 263,986 (Middle of page 6600, 40 posts per page) posts began occupying the same post number (Not id) twice

The timestamps of the doubled posts are all off by 30 minutes

1540833982123.webp

The above post ids in order are 22618770, 22618860, 22618772, 22618862 but are listed in the wrong order

The timestamps being off makes me think something happened with your server time -- that's a big deal if it happens as there are a lot of assumptions that time moves forward only.

If some other counters got set incorrectly, then this could happen. The usual fix is to rebuild thread info, including the position counters and it should resolve this. If you have a very large forum, that could be quite time consuming. There is a "hack" to force it to trigger for only one thread. You can create a new thread and then merge it into this thread. That should force a full rebuild of the target thread's counters/positions.

The timestamps being off makes me think something happened with your server time -- that's a big deal if it happens as there are a lot of assumptions that time moves forward only.

If some other counters got set incorrectly, then this could happen. The usual fix is to rebuild thread info, including the position counters and it should resolve this. If you have a very large forum, that could be quite time consuming. There is a "hack" to force it to trigger for only one thread. You can create a new thread and then merge it into this thread. That should force a full rebuild of the target thread's counters/positions.

The fix did work. Is there a reason threads sort by timestamp rather than id? I've always understood that assuming time only goes forward can be a bad idea

I am equally concerned about why the server timestamps suddenly got offset

Note that when I say time moves forwards, I'm specifically referring to the timestamp -- that doesn't involve anything like timezones or DST.

IDs are very specifically not related to the timestamp. The very straightforward example is the ability to copy a post, though beyond that, there are several add-ons that deal with changing the timestamp on content. If we sorted by IDs, this more or less wouldn't be possible. (It's worth noting that we actually sort by position rather than timestamp, though this is derived from the timestamp and ID and thus isn't something that should ever be changed manually as it may be regenerated.)

Top Bottom