• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.5 Posting works but doesn't update on poster's end

#1
So I'm having a bit of a weird issue..

90% of my website runs with no issues. People can browse, login, view threads, etc w/ no problems. They can also use the Context API add-on to post to the site with no problems.

But posting to any thread just leaves the poster with no feedback as to what is happening. Their post still goes through perfectly fine for everybody else, but the post sits in the reply box and does nothing for them (leading folks to posting it 2-3 times lol).

Images are also being loaded incredibly slowly, though I'm not sure how related that is.

Conversations seem to work fine as far as adding a new reply, but thread posts are totally broken.

The weirdest part is that if I take a snapshot of my digitalocean droplet and create a new droplet from the snapshot the duplicate works perfectly fine, even though the snapshot is of a broken VPS. I don't think its the server itself thats the problem since most of the site works perfectly fine, but I could be totally misunderstanding how all the intricate parts work together.

I can't really find anything on this issue since really there aren't any errors being thrown (that I can see anyway).. has anyone come across anything like this before? I didn't do anything to the website at the time the issue started, it just kind of started happening - heck I wasn't even home to do anything when it started haha.
 

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#2
Customisations, typically added JS, are the usual cause of this.

The first step would be to disable all add-ons and revert to a completely default style with all custom JS removed, including ads.

You can then enable things one at a time until you identify the cause.
 
#3
Customisations, typically added JS, are the usual cause of this.

The first step would be to disable all add-ons and revert to a completely default style with all custom JS removed, including ads.

You can then enable things one at a time until you identify the cause.
Ahh ok, I had ran through most of the add-ons but didn't think of the JS! Good call! Though I'm curious is there a reason why it would break the site on one server but on the 2nd droplet that is a 1:1 mirror it works fine? That part has me kicking myself trying to figure out what the deal is haha.

I'll definitely try pulling out some of the custom JS now though, thanks for the tip!
 
#4
Sure enough - worked like a charm thank you so much @Brogan. Of course its the simple things haha, I really appreciate it!

I had to turn off the image proxy in order to get everything back to normal, which I think is not ideal since I'm using SSL and now I'll be getting mixed-content errors, but at least I know whats broken now!

ETA: Failure log for proxy test FWIW:

http://i.imgur.com/GkTjsk1.jpg could not be fetched or is not a valid image. The specific error message was: Unable to Connect to tcp://i.imgur.com:80. Error #0: php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service not known

Edit 2: Pretty sure this also explains the 2nd droplet running perfectly - it doesn't have SSL setup.. Hah.
 

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
#5
That could be due to a firewall rule or some other issue on the server.

The image proxy is specifically designed for sites running via HTTPS so it's something your sysadamin or host should be able to resolve fairly easily.