Post your speedtest.net results!

Closed on our house Thursday, had AT&T fibre installed Friday, moved this morning, set the PC up this afternoon.

View attachment 156526

It would have been faster but I was also downloading a Win 10 update at the same time as running the test.

:cool:
AT&T is running fiber through our neighborhood currently, but I may stick with the provider I have since they offer good customer service and reliable Internet.

P.S. :p

You're in America now, you have to start spelling things correctly (after all, as you know, Americans invented English) ;)

On topic, 100% jealous :(

6576593184.png

Closed on our house Thursday, had AT&T fibre installed Friday, moved this morning, set the PC up this afternoon.

View attachment 156526

It would have been faster but I was also downloading a Win 10 update at the same time as running the test.

Damn that's insane. I thought I was doing well for residential service. AT&T Fiber is not in my area yet sadly.

17718067.png

My local provider is WOW (aka Wide Open West) which is a cable Internet/TV/phone provider. What I have liked about them is that when they provision speeds, they give about 10% excess as a maximum. In other words, if a person had 10Mbps, they'd cushion that with a bit extra. I have noticed during peak periods that it is very rare that I get speeds below the tier that I am paying for. Unlike Comcast (which I had over a dozen years ago) and AT&T's ADSL, which were always below the maximum at any time of the day (with Comcast dipping even further during peak hours).

Right now, I can get AT&T fiber. 100 Mbps for $60/month. Yet I can get the same tier on WOW for $40/month, with none of the additional taxes and fees that AT&T used to add to my bills. (Especially if I go through one of WOW's sales team or their retention department--their price is the total cost I pay.) And WOW does not yet cap data usage, where AT&T limits this to 1TB/month. I can get 500Mbps for $60/month through WOW. I can afford it, but do I really need it? Only one of us, maybe two at the most, stream video. I download/upload files and backups. Yet I'm in no rush. ;) If anything, I would get the 500Mbps tier only to get the faster upload speeds. AT&T also is less amenable to retention--you can't bargain with them like you can with the smaller providers like WOW.

This has been our fourth move in just over a year.

Never. Moving. Again.
Ouch. Man, I don't wish that on anyone. We had more than two moves in one year, (two households, and moving one household from a storage unit to the house), and it made for a very stressful and tiresome year.

Congrats on settling down. :)

View attachment 156526

WTF... I've had AT&T fiber to the premise for 10 years now and they think the best use of it is to stream U-Verse TV and use it as a transport for 24Mbit DSL. So much for "Project Lightspeed". Thankfully 2 years ago I realized Time Warner also ran a fiber drop to the premise (normally for a neighborhood), so I pay for 300Mbit and get 700Mbit without sharing bandwidth with neighbors.

Hopefully a company buys AT&T's fiber in my area and can "think" bigger than "oh nice... fiber DSL transport".

I officially hate you all :(

As soon as my Mum's home internet comes back online (planned maintenance, which they didn't tell us about... bit of a shock when 10PM came), I'll do a test...

For now, my mobile tether (4G):

(It should be noted that I only have a 3 bar 4G strength on my 4G inside the house).

(Also, the UK is currently on BST - 1 hour ahead of GMT).

Liam

Last edited:

View attachment 156526

That ping is cheating though, you're testing against an AT&T server on an AT&T connection...

Just like when I test my University's internet against the JANET servers ;)

Liam

Mine was 0 for the last 2 days ... some idiot cut the fibre.

After many phone calls and some guy called Mike working during a tornado warning and flash flooding, it's back to 1GB :D

Top Bottom