Post your speedtest.net results!

Are you using Chrome? I've had so many issues with Chrome as it's a very poor browser and suffers from many bugs and leaks.

Won't happen. The connections are split. last I checked, each employee gets something like 6-7/1.5-2.2. Though I'd rather pay $700 for each and just get 1 Gb/1 Gb.

Emmm...Gbit...emmm...:love:

To be honest by price the gbit lines would be a better value completely and if justifiable and doable...would jump on that.

The new plan is called "spectrum" and is just one speed at the moment, the 30 rolling onto 60. It affects all Charter customers nationwide and the latest date for changeover is November, IIRC. The ultra tier is still offered but not advertised. They're merely dumping all analog channels in favor of digital. The excess bandwidth can be used for internet and of course the money saved from maintaining analog junk will go to infrastructure.

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Charters-New-Spectrum-Brand-Arrives-In-Some-Markets-128287

Also if your modem is doing that, either the modem has gone bad (It happens) or the line from the pole to your home needs replacing. You should have "wire maintenance" on your bill if you subscribe to their TV service too. It costs about $5.00 a month and saves you from headaches down the road. Like a $1,200 cable-rewire if you move house.

In our area the cable companies do not install cable (the actual running of wires)...that is customer responsibility (insurance reasons and because 99% of people here don't own their own home so they cant legally allow someone to work on the domicile drilling holes and such).

For me that involves telling them I need to rewire...they stopped at the warehouse and picked up some cases of cable, I gave them measurements in feet +6 ft for damage cutoffs from the pulls and they cut them to length for me...they then complete the service ticket the next day by coming and capping the wires after I ran everything. The drop line from the pole to the house almost any isp will do for free if it's needed which in reality it is in their best interest to upgrade all wiring in customer homes as well...upfront the cost is greater...but when you factor in leaks and tons of loss and driving from pole to pole to find issues after they have a cause a serious problem like an outage it really just makes more sense to replace the 25 year old coax so you don't have physical connectivity issues as a foundation for your network and you end up with customers who will never have to call the customer service line about service issues.

Yeah, it's really weird. The videos will continue uploading, but I can't access anything else, not even e-mail, on and off.

Could it really be either of those things if it was fine on the other modem before it broke? This modem is new, and I don't think the pole wiring could really go bad the following day (we replaced our modem the next day), could it?

In reality the line could have been bad the whole time and even could be one of the causes of your modem being fried in the first place and if it actually was and if that was the case there is nothing stopping that line from screwing with your connection and or frying your new modem, the thing that made your old modem kick the bucket could be exactly what is causing issues for you now.

Start a ticket and have one of the techs show up and check all the telemetry and make sure their is an acceptable level of noise.

If it is an actual connectivity issue my guess, old wires, non compatible splitters or splitters whose legs each put up too much loss and/or the drop line is your problem.

Charter Business, which also services the areas, quoted us around $1,200-1,300 for 1 Gb down and up per line FiOS already had a mature fiber network set up and no other businesses chose them. Their residential service in that area isn't great, so who's to say their business would be any better. ATT did send an agent to us and their speed and price combinations were laughable.

Charter has insurance for those issues, at least here. They changed my drop wire. Admittedly both Charter and the city neglected some poles which became overrun with ivy from who knows where. It allows critters to mess with power lines, phone lines and cable lines. Charter billed the city for that callout, and the city sent a three man team to clean probably a couple hundred pounds of ivy growth from that pole and others in the area. Charter came in the next day and changed the wire. They ended up changing everyone's wires later in the fall.

It's always a 2-3 man operation, the most junior of all gets sent under the houses in a cloth suit to do the hookups if the homes have a crawlspace. Most do here given the dry climate and because they're better than slabs. When I bought my house, I had it gutted and everything was put in to allow easier rewiring in the future if it came to it. Generally I'm pretty happy with their service these days. If only they had more upload speed.

If Google Fiber ever rolls out a business plan, I'll get it. It'll probably be ridiculous like 10 Gb/5 Gb.

I forgot this, but you might not even have to worry too much. Specified areas and their regional areas (including up to entire state) will change.

lbzGnrF.jpg

Switched to Comcast and finally have ok speed.

Was on Bellsouth:
3575239408.png

Comcast middle tier (25/5):
3578354589.png

It's not world changing but at least 20x better than before so that's good. Doesn't take a year to download a simple file..

My local internet just upgraded us for free as well. Strangely, it wasn't long after Google Fiber announced they were coming to Omaha. Coincidence...?

3620514718.png

That's actually down a bit. I usually hit in the mid 120's.

Top Bottom