Post Ratings - taking likes to the next level [Deleted]

Hi,

I am not happy with where this addon adds the bar for my new skin. Is there a way I can manually add the bar where I would like it to be?

Thanks.

Hi... I love this addon... really increase interaction (and debate :)).

Is there a way to create a rating that would increase the like count by more than +1. (or, can anyone suggest how I might go about hacking something like this together)

or, can someone suggest how I code:

while creating a table with the most popular posts
if post has a certain post rating
then
link count = like count + 5

Last edited:
Hi,

I am not happy with where this addon adds the bar for my new skin. Is there a way I can manually add the bar where I would like it to be?

Thanks.

You can move it with CSS or by moving the hooks in the template html

The CSS selector for the bar itself is .dark_postrating and the hooks in question are message_content (above sig mode) and dark_postrating_likes_bar (below sig mode)

Hi... I love this addon... really increase interaction (and debate :)).

Is there a way to create a rating that would increase the like count by more than +1. (or, can anyone suggest how I might go about hacking something like this together)

or, can someone suggest how I code:

while creating a table with the most popular posts
if post has a certain post rating
then
link count = like count + 5

Unfortunately that's easily possible, in both stock XF and in Post Ratings, all likes/ratings need to be assocated with a user - you can't simply inflate totals

I was wondering if there was any way of making the rating system more prominent on the first post? It just does not grab the users attention as much as I would like. I want to let users know that they should rate this posting/thread by having it really be noticeable. Is there anyway to add wording to the rating area, i.e. "RATE THIS POST", or what other ways would make this pop more, other than just changing the div background color? I am open to suggestions. I absolutely love the addon, probably the best addon for XenForo in my Opinion and well worth the price.

Last edited:
Need some advice/recommendation as an admin. Running a forum that's got members with split opinions on one topic; almost like those PC vs. Mac topics. They're very passionate (stubborn?) about their opinions. One group is very positive/optimistic and another is very negative/pessimistic. As you can imagine, both groups like to thread-crap on each other's threads although it tends to skew one way (negative crapping on positive threads) then the thread just turns into a flame war.

I think this addon can help and work in my favor by allowing users to have a persistent "reputation" that they have to think about before posting but there's also a part of me that thinks that it can work against the forum.

Anyone have any insight on the above?

You can move it with CSS or by moving the hooks in the template html

The CSS selector for the bar itself is .dark_postrating and the hooks in question are message_content (above sig mode) and dark_postrating_likes_bar (below sig mode)

Hello

Thanks for the reply. I am unable to find these in templates. I am not a programmer but I can make my way around template edits. I would like the bar to sit under the public controls in the post. I can't find any template where it calls in the bars templates.

Thanks.

Hi Luke or anyone,

I've upgraded my XF to 1.2.4 but after the upgrade, the rating bar and the number of rates disappear from profiles and posts. I've uninstalled the plugin to do a fresh install (no one seems to have this problem) but now, i can't install the plugin without this error :

Code:
Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Field 'group_whitelist' doesn't have a default value - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
Généré par: xenadmin, il y a 7 minutes
Trace de la pile

#0 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(297): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/Dark/PostRating/Install.php(153): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('INSERT INTO `da...')
#3 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/Dark/PostRating/Install.php(63): Dark_PostRating_Install->_installVersion1()
#4 [internal function]: Dark_PostRating_Install::install(false, Array, Object(SimpleXMLElement))
#5 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php(215): call_user_func(Array, false, Array, Object(SimpleXMLElement))
#6 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php(169): XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml(Object(SimpleXMLElement), false)
#7 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/AddOnInstaller/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php(36): XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile('/var/log/tmp/ph...')
#8 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): AddOnInstaller_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstallUpgrade()
#9 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#10 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#11 {main}

État de la demande

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(55) "http://www.diacre.org/admin.php?add-ons/install-upgrade"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["add-ons/install-upgrade"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["resource_url"] => string(0) ""
    ["server_file_oldskool"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
  }
}

Thks for your help

I was wondering if there was any way of making the rating system more prominent on the first post? It just does not grab the users attention as much as I would like. I want to let users know that they should rate this posting/thread by having it really be noticeable. Is there anyway to add wording to the rating area, i.e. "RATE THIS POST", or what other ways would make this pop more, other than just changing the div background color? I am open to suggestions. I absolutely love the addon, probably the best addon for XenForo in my Opinion and well worth the price.

You do this with a template edit - the condition you're looking for is {$message.position} == 0, and you probably want the primary post rating template (dark_postrating)

Need some advice/recommendation as an admin. Running a forum that's got members with split opinions on one topic; almost like those PC vs. Mac topics. They're very passionate (stubborn?) about their opinions. One group is very positive/optimistic and another is very negative/pessimistic. As you can imagine, both groups like to thread-crap on each other's threads although it tends to skew one way (negative crapping on positive threads) then the thread just turns into a flame war.

I think this addon can help and work in my favor by allowing users to have a persistent "reputation" that they have to think about before posting but there's also a part of me that thinks that it can work against the forum.

Anyone have any insight on the above?

In certain atmospheres of community people can take negative ratings too seriously - if it's not feasible to police their use then your best bet is to disable all negative ratings.

Hello

Thanks for the reply. I am unable to find these in templates. I am not a programmer but I can make my way around template edits. I would like the bar to sit under the public controls in the post. I can't find any template where it calls in the bars templates.

Thanks.

That is where the bar is placed by default, so your skin would have to vary significantly from the default for it to not appear there. If you PM me admin CP details I will try to sort it out.

Hi Luke or anyone,

I've upgraded my XF to 1.2.4 but after the upgrade, the rating bar and the number of rates disappear from profiles and posts. I've uninstalled the plugin to do a fresh install (no one seems to have this problem) but now, i can't install the plugin without this error :

Code:
Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli_Exception: Mysqli statement execute error : Field 'group_whitelist' doesn't have a default value - library/Zend/Db/Statement/Mysqli.php:214
Généré par: xenadmin, il y a 7 minutes
Trace de la pile

#0 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/Zend/Db/Statement.php(297): Zend_Db_Statement_Mysqli->_execute(Array)
#1 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/Zend/Db/Adapter/Abstract.php(479): Zend_Db_Statement->execute(Array)
#2 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/Dark/PostRating/Install.php(153): Zend_Db_Adapter_Abstract->query('INSERT INTO `da...')
#3 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/Dark/PostRating/Install.php(63): Dark_PostRating_Install->_installVersion1()
#4 [internal function]: Dark_PostRating_Install::install(false, Array, Object(SimpleXMLElement))
#5 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php(215): call_user_func(Array, false, Array, Object(SimpleXMLElement))
#6 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/XenForo/Model/AddOn.php(169): XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXml(Object(SimpleXMLElement), false)
#7 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/AddOnInstaller/ControllerAdmin/AddOn.php(36): XenForo_Model_AddOn->installAddOnXmlFromFile('/var/log/tmp/ph...')
#8 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(347): AddOnInstaller_ControllerAdmin_AddOn->actionInstallUpgrade()
#9 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(134): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
#10 /homez.764/diacrecs/www/admin.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
#11 {main}

État de la demande

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(55) "http://www.diacre.org/admin.php?add-ons/install-upgrade"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["add-ons/install-upgrade"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(4) {
    ["resource_url"] => string(0) ""
    ["server_file_oldskool"] => string(0) ""
    ["_xfConfirm"] => string(1) "1"
    ["_xfToken"] => string(8) "********"
  }
}

Thks for your help

The install code is not built to handle reinstalls, as the uninstall code does not delete the old rating tables by design (to prevent 'accidental' uninstalls from being catastrophic)

To install the addon again without deleting data, replace library/Dark/PostRating/Install.php with the attached file and then install the .xml file.

Attachments

Thks Luke for your help !

I did the new install, but as it was, the ratings bar doesn't appear in posts ...

This is the log of the previous issue before i uninstall/reinstall the addon :

Code:
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Cannot use string offset as an array - library/XenForo/Template/Abstract.php(265) : eval()'d code:42
Généré par: Swat, Hier à 07:45
Trace de la pile

#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}

État de la demande

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(56) "http://www.diacre.org/index.php?account/ratings-received"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["account/ratings-received"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

(it worked well before)

Thks Luke for your help !

I did the new install, but as it was, the ratings bar doesn't appear in posts ...

This is the log of the previous issue before i uninstall/reinstall the addon :

Code:
ErrorException: Fatal Error: Cannot use string offset as an array - library/XenForo/Template/Abstract.php(265) : eval()'d code:42
Généré par: Swat, Hier à 07:45
Trace de la pile

#0 [internal function]: XenForo_Application::handleFatalError()
#1 {main}

État de la demande

array(3) {
  ["url"] => string(56) "http://www.diacre.org/index.php?account/ratings-received"
  ["_GET"] => array(1) {
    ["account/ratings-received"] => string(0) ""
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

(it worked well before)

I'm not aware of any changes in 1.2.4 that could have affected it, and that's a fairly cryptic error to debug. Can you PM me admin cp and FTP details?

If someone have the same problem as mine : the table dark_postrating_ratings had been deleted during an update, a restore of this table made the job.

Best regards

I would like to have likes and post ratings live in harmony and be separate. Basically I will be changing Likes to "Reps" and only using post ratings on about 3 forums and all the other content including posts on other forums where I have post ratings disabled to be to be able to be "Liked"/"Repped". I changed all the proper settings in the Post Ratings options, but for some reason I am not seeing likes appearing again? Is there somewhere else I should be looking? Please see below for how a forum looks that does not have Post Ratings enabled there is not a likes button appearing:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9ua1mokqx0163g4/Screen Shot 2013-12-26 at 1.58.08 PM.png

I don't want a thread deleted, or even closed, but is it possible if the first post in a thread gets enough negative ratings it will lose it's ability to be bumped to the top and show up in new replies? People could still write in it, but no more moving to the top.

Is there any way to stop abusing the system? Some one can like some other persons posts in mass and increase his rating to massive amounts.

1. Is there anyway we can limit number of likes one person can give to another person per day? or atleast number of likes per day a person can give to others?

2. Is there anyway we can find likes one person has given and anyway to delete them?

since i am running a help forum i should allow new registered members to give likes to the people who helped them. But feels like some abuser can easily spoil the whole system in few hours and even keep me helpless coz i can't even find where he gave likes or any way to delete them.

Lets say i gave likes power only to some reputed group still only one needed to easily spoil the whole system and make me help less.

I work on the profile page and wanted to ask where I can change the style?
In what for Templates are the four things? Positive ratings received:, Neutral ratings received:, Negative ratings received: and the Status Bar

Question_011.webp Thanks for help
and a happy new year :sleep:

Could you please add an option to limit the number of ratings member can give to any other specific member for 24 hours. This will stop most of the abuse and cheating

It would be sweet if you added a black list.
I have one forum section where I don't want ratings enabled so I have to whitelist every section but that certain one.
It becomes a little bit of a hassle when I'm adding or removing sections because I have to go back in for every single rating and whitelist the new sections.

It would be sweet if you added a black list.
I have one forum section where I don't want ratings enabled so I have to whitelist every section but that certain one.
It becomes a little bit of a hassle when I'm adding or removing sections because I have to go back in for every single rating and whitelist the new sections.

If you don't want any ratings at all in a section it's easier to use xenforo node permissions to set the 'can rate' permission

Top Bottom