Post Count

Davyc

I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but I reckon it's a support question lol.

I mentioned to my members that I was going to do some pruning - remove inactive members who joined, never posted and never came back, remove members who joined did post and then never came back for whatever reason. Prune old threads that have no further use and just taking up space in the database. The usual housekeeping that most forum admins do.

Now, when I told my members that this process would most likely see their post count go down if they had replied to these members posts, or had posted in threads that are going to bite the dust, they were less than happy. I've done some pruning of threads I posted myself and my post count dropped by a few hundred after the event.

Below is a quote from one of many prolific members with her reasoning as to why member post counts should not be culled:

I hope the Xenfono guys have some suggestions about the post count not disappearing. It just doesn't seem right to constantly be eliminating and erasing your website history. If you still have the post totals from the other formats you have used since Jan. 2011, they should be reincorporated into the post history of Joe's Place as well. It's being prevented from keeping an accurate record of it's ongoing success and growth and subsequent good reputation. I think it is very important that this be resolved to preserve the true integrity of Joe's Place and so a true picture and accounting of it's members can be reflected in the journey/ history as well.

She also pointed out:

And this is not about a contest to see who can get the most posts either. But, using myself as an example, I want my post count to reflect that I have been an active member of the website from the time I joined to the current date. Just because you retire threads should not diminish the fact that I was active and participated in conversations or the posting of information. My post numbers should reflect how many times I have posted on the website, period. If my numbers are high, then it will be assumed I am an active member, which in most circumstances would be a correct assumption. By the same token, I don't think the site should lose the post numbers when threads are retired or deleted either. In my view, posts are posts and nothing should diminish them or alter the count.

As you can see this has caused some concern and I was wondering if there was a solution to this whereby members post counts are not affected by the removal of deadwood.

I understand the logic of the process in that you can't have a count of something if that something is no longer there to be counted, but try explaining that to non-technically minded people lol. Hope there is something I can do to keep them happy lol.

BTW: I didn't tell them I was pruning initially, but they're such an observant and astute lot and asked "why has my post count dropped" so I had to tell them what I was planning lol.

;)

Yes I've done that now by moving everthing into an archive forum - but it's a waste of space keeping thousands of posts that no one looks at anymore and I don't really want the database growing to a point where backups become unmanagable. It's a tough call between keeping order and keeping members happy lol.

Thanks for the quick response which is appreciated.

:)

You can manually adjust post counts for individual members in the ACP, if it really bothers them that much.

As for the board post count not being reduced, well that value indicates the number of posts on the forum.
If you have 100,000 posts and delete 90,000 of them, would it be accurate to display a board post count of 100,000?

Clearly not.

You can manually adjust post counts for individual members in the ACP, if it really bothers them that much.

I didn't know that - do now, thank you. This may go some way to keeping those that complain happy lol.

As for the board post count not being reduced, well that value indicates the number of posts on the forum.
If you have 100,000 posts and delete 90,000 of them, would it be accurate to display a board post count of 100,000?

Clearly not.

Absolutely right, but all my attempts to explain that to them - well it's like banging your head against a brick wall lol. I've always said that it's quality not quantity that counts.

I'll inform everyone that if they want their post count unaltered they will have to make a note of where they are and let me know so I can manually adjust their count lol. Think I'll make mine 2,000,000 lol. ;)

Top Bottom