Post Areas: Pro Performance [Deleted]

Thomas.B

Thomas.B submitted a new resource:

Post Areas: Pro Performance - Improves performance for the „Post Areas“ add-on

If you use Post Areas and a visitor clicks on the „Post Areas“ tab in a member's profile, the post and thread counts are calculated in real-time. Depending on your server resources and the total number of posts/threads, this could consume a lot of server resources. To prevent such issues or to generally decrease your server's average load you can use this add-on.

When the „Pro Performance“ add-on is enabled, the post and...

Read more about this resource...

Just so i get it right: You release a (paid) AddOn, you know it's gonna cost a lot of ressources and to optimize the performance of the first AddOn you release another paid AddOn?

No, that's not quite right. As mentioned in the description: how much resources the add-on needs depends on your particular server and how large your forum is. I assume that for most forums there won't be a significant performance issue.

Ok! But why to do this with another AddOn (why do i have to have 2 AddOns for 1 single feature)? You could release a regular AddOn for $10 and a single Pro for 30$.

Just so i get it right: You release a (paid) AddOn, you know it's gonna cost a lot of ressources and to optimize the performance of the first AddOn you release another paid AddOn?

I think his business model is actually pretty fair. Anyone who needs this optimised for a large forum can likely afford to pay more. The alternative would be to up the price for the normal version but that'd be worse for people who don't need the performance boost.

It's not that different to XF having Enhanced Search for big forums and the default XF search for normal users.

You could release a regular AddOn for $10 and a single Pro for 30$.
The benefit of splitting it into two dependent add-ons is a much better maintainability (from developmental perspective). If the „Pro version“ would be a stand-alone add-on, every change (bugfix / new feature) that doesn't just belong to the cache, would always need to be made in both versions. On the other hand, for a customer of the pro-addon there is the drawback of having to install two add-ons. So unfortunately there is a trade-off. Now, as installing an add-on dosen't really take that much time, I decided to split the add-on..

@Thomas.B
If there's one improvement I'd really like to see it would be some option to display the forums/nodes in some kind of order, at least alphabetically. I'm not sure what exactly currently determines their order, but it looks to be completely random. Thanks

Yeah, it should actually be ordered by post counts. But currently there is no order at all. I'll release a bugfix tomorrow..

Yeah, it should actually be ordered by post counts. But currently there is no order at all. I'll release a bugfix tomorrow..
That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if my memory was playing tricks on me. I thought I remembered that being the case with the 1.5 version, and I thought it might have been displayed like that with this version before I installed the pro addon and ran the cron job. Thank you.

Thanks, much better! I still wouldn't mind seeing an alphabetical sorting option at some point, though. Maybe up the road... ;)

I think there is a communication issue here on the description for the add-on page. As someone who has never heard of your Post Areas plug-in, it appears that this is a add-on for that Post Areas add-on which improves performance.

I can not tell if this includes Post Areas, or if this requires Post Areas and I would need to buy that separately. If this includes both Post Areas and the performance increase, then I'd recommend offering a small discount for those that previous bought 'Post Areas' to negate any of this backlash. That's just my advice but then again, I still don't understand if they're separate or require eachother anyways.

I still wouldn't mind seeing an alphabetical sorting option at some point, though. Maybe up the road... ;)
K, I planned it for the next minor release..

I can not tell if this includes Post Areas, or if this requires Post Areas and I would need to buy that separately.
Well, on the Overview it states „Post Areas 2.x“ as an additional requirement. But it's probably a good idea to menion it also in the description..

I think there is a communication issue here on the description for the add-on page. As someone who has never heard of your Post Areas plug-in, it appears that this is a add-on for that Post Areas add-on which improves performance.

I can not tell if this includes Post Areas, or if this requires Post Areas and I would need to buy that separately. If this includes both Post Areas and the performance increase, then I'd recommend offering a small discount for those that previous bought 'Post Areas' to negate any of this backlash. That's just my advice but then again, I still don't understand if they're separate or require eachother anyways.

They're separate, this does not include Post Areas. And you might or might not need this (Post Areas: Pro Performance), depending on whether or not Post Areas by itself performs to your satisfaction. The easiest way to determine that is to buy Post Areas by itself and see if you run into load time problems when viewing it in user profiles. If you don't have any users with thousands of posts, then you likely won't need this. If you do, and you notice that Post Areas takes several seconds to load on those users' profiles, then you'll probably want this Pro Performance addition.

@Thomas.B
Hate to be asking for something else, but any chance of having all threads in a forum displayed by creation date? It just seems to me that a lot of people would naturally be using this addon as an easy way of seeing what threads created by a user they might have recently missed, and this would be a lot easier if all threads were by creation date, as when filtering by username and first message in individual forums/nodes. It would be nice as an option at some point, if it's something you could do. Thank you.

any chance of having all threads in a forum displayed by creation date?
Do you mean the search results after clicking on a thread count? If so, the threads should actually be ordered by creation date. How are they ordered in your forum?

Btw, sorry for the delay. I'm currenly on vacation until 8 April..

Do you mean the search results after clicking on a thread count? If so, the threads should actually be ordered by creation date. How are they ordered in your forum?

Btw, sorry for the delay. I'm currenly on vacation until 8 April..
Yes, I mean the search results after clicking a thread count. But it looks as if that isn't the real problem. I thought that if I weren't seeing some recent threads that I know I created, they must be out of order, but after going through them a bit more it appears that those threads are actually just missing entirely. So technically it appears that what does show in posts areas is in fact shown by creation date - it's just not showing all the threads. So, for example, when I look at the threads in one forum via Post Areas it shows that I created 7 threads this Month, but then it skips to threads I created in January. But when I visit that exact same forum and order my threads by creation date, I can see that I've actually created 14 threads in March, and I created 12 in February - none of which are shown when using Post Areas. So I'm not sure what's going on.

Hope you're enjoying the vacation! :barefoot:

Hm, that's odd. I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. Is this a common problem? Meaning, are there missing threads in several forums and/or are multiple users affected by this?

Hm, that's odd. I haven't been able to reproduce this issue. Is this a common problem? Meaning, are there missing threads in several forums and/or are multiple users affected by this?
I just checked another user, another forum. In Post Areas for that forum it shows NO threads for February. When I visit the same forum and filter her threads by first message I see that she actually created 9 threads there in February. I am using prefixes in all these forums. Not sure how or why that would affect anything, but figured I'd mention it.

Top Bottom