XF 2.1 Possible to natively create a forum that is a combination of other specific forums?

entelechy

I'd like a link in the navigation bar to "marketplace", with that link going to a forum which is a combination of the threads from multiple forums called "x marketplace", "y marketplace" etc.

Is this possible natively or is an addon needed?

Natively definitely not possible

On the navigation you can put whatever link you want, that's not a problem. The other part is the problem.

But what you can do is this:

Create a node called "All Marketplace", and then create children of this node called "Marketplace x" "Marketplace y" etc. and then use this free addon you can automatically display all threads of the children in the parent node.

Maybe @Xon Aggregating addon you can do this without needing to setup a parent <> children relation. Have to ask him.

Thanks again @sbj

I've actually got that addon and didn't even think about doing that. Upon trying it though the problem is that the marketplace sub-node are already children of categories and displayed under them in the node list, which is one of my homepages.

So if I switch the parent to marketplace, which is a non-node-list node that's in the navigation they leave each of their categories.

@Xon .. can your addon provide this functionality without having to have child nodes set for the parent node to display the threads? Also I looked over your docs, is it just an optional aggregation or is the an option to do it automatically without asking for permission (what I need)?

Thanks!

Reactions: sbj
I couldn't follow what your setup is. If you could provide a simple tree structure with the node types to explain, it would help to understand (although not sure if there would be a solution to your case if you did, just trying to understand).

Like this:

Category Node A
--- Forum Node A
--- Forum Node B
--- Forum Node Marketplace
------ Forum Node Marketplace x
------ Forum Node Marketplace y
--- Forum Node C

Sure thing.

So like this right now:

Marketplace (forum)(navigation)

Category A (displayed in node list)
--- Category A Marketplace (forum)

Category B (displayed in node list)
--- Category B Marketplace (forum)

And I want all threads from Cat A Marketplace and Cat B Marketplace displayed in Marketplace in the nav.

So if I click on "Marketplace" in the nav, I'll get a forum showing all threads from all category marketplaces, but if I click on any of them in just the node list, I'll only see the marketplace listings for that category

Why separate category nodes for your forum nodes? You can merge those into one, and the problem should be solved with the addon above.

Category Marketplace
--- Forum Node Marketplace ALL
------ Forum Node Marketplace A
------ Forum Node Marketplace B

And put the link of "Marketplace ALL" in the navigation. Done.

@Xon .. can your addon provide this functionality without having to have child nodes set for the parent node to display the threads? Also I looked over your docs, is it just an optional aggregation or is the an option to do it automatically without asking for permission (what I need)?
Currently only child forums are aggregated into a parent forum (not parent category).

Configuration wise in the admincp you set if a child node can be aggregated and the default aggregation options, and then grant permissions for users to opt-out./change their own settings. There isn't actually any permissions on the feature being used beyond ensuring you can see threads in child forums.

Well what is need is child forums to be aggregated into a single parent forum, so that's a good start.

I have one forum which only has a link to it in navigation called "Marketplace", and I want it to aggregate threads from other forums in the node list.

The difficulty so far has been that in order for the forums to be in the node list, they are already children of a category. So I can't make them both children of the "Marketplace" parent forum as well as having them as children of their respective category.

Can your addon aggregate without having to change the parent of each forum?

Can your addon aggregate without having to change the parent of each forum?
Not directly, but my "Proxy link forum" add-on which converts Link Forums into full forum proxies is supported. You do need to duplicate the node names and such, but then select the real forum the proxy forum should present itself as.

Not directly, but my "Proxy link forum" add-on which converts Link Forums into full forum proxies is supported. You do need to duplicate the node names and such, but then select the real forum the proxy forum should present itself as.

Thanks Xon I'll take a look at it!

Top Bottom