Possible solution for email on custom domain

Saeed

Hi guys.

I own a personal domain for my university's alumni association and would like to create email addresses for various associated personnel.

e.g. webmaster@domain.com, secretary@domain.com, president@domain.com

Now, an easy way to do this would be to have them configure the "Send mail as" option in their personal email accounts, allowing them to send email from their own inboxes with the custom email addresses. The hosting server could be configured to forward all email sent to president@domain.com to abc@gmail.com.

The tricky bit is, that after 2 years, an electoral process takes place and new personnel replaces the previous one. I'm looking for a solution by which after 2 years, the outgoing personnel could no longer use their custom email addresses.

Is this possible, or do I need to set up separate email accounts for this?

Perhaps someone with experience in this matter could help me with this, since I don't have the slightest clue...:)

Hi guys.

I own a personal domain for my university's alumni association and would like to create email addresses for various associated personnel.

e.g. webmaster@domain.com, secretary@domain.com, president@domain.com

Now, an easy way to do this would be to have them configure the "Send mail as" option in their personal email accounts, allowing them to send email from their own inboxes with the custom email addresses. The hosting server could be configured to forward all email sent to president@domain.com to abc@gmail.com.

The tricky bit is, that after 2 years, an electoral process takes place and new personnel replaces the previous one. I'm looking for a solution by which after 2 years, the outgoing personnel could no longer use their custom email addresses.

Is this possible, or do I need to set up separate email accounts for this?

Perhaps someone with experience in this matter could help me with this, since I don't have the slightest clue...:)

What about using Google Mail? Also, if the accounts are being used for business, I would start culling mail to minimize discovery.

Thank you for the response, Josh. :)

I could use Google Mail, but after the tenure of the current officers is up, they would still be able to use and send mail from their custom email addresses.

Thank you for the response, Josh. :)

I could use Google Mail, but after the tenure of the current officers is up, they would still be able to use and send mail from their custom email addresses.

You could use Google Apps paid version. It's very cheap actually. Admin can grant them custom email addresses and when their tenure is finished, admin can change the passwords and give the new passwords to the next guy.

Or did i misunderstand your question?

You could use Google Apps paid version. It's very cheap actually. Admin can grant them custom email addresses and when their tenure is finished, admin can change the passwords and give the new passwords to the next guy.

Or did i misunderstand your question?
Thank you, Sadik. :)

So if I understood correctly, the only way to go about this is to set up separate email accounts for everyone, right?

Thank you, Sadik. :)

So if I understood correctly, the only way to go about this is to set up separate email accounts for everyone, right?

I thought you wanted an email address for all the staff positions, didn't you?

What I meant was you sign up to Google Apps, then create email accounts webmaster@domain.com secretary@domain.com president@domain.com etc.

You could set any forwarders you want.

Once personnel changes, admin can change the password of the email addresses webmaster@domain.com secretary@domain.com president@domain.com etc. and give the new passwords to the new persons.

Of course this is just one solution. You could have others. Like set up a mail server yourself but that would be too much work maintaining. Using Google apps means there isn't any maintenance overhead. Also it works with Outlook etc.

Thank you very much, turtile and Sadik. :)

Yeah, the issue isn't about forwarding...that's relatively easy. The issue is that once forwarding is enabled, the officers can set up "Send Mail as" in their personal email accounts and use them to send email with their custom email address, e.g. John Smith could email as president@domain.com from his own john.smith@gmail.com.

Disabling forwarding to john.smith@gmail.com after 2 years would stop him from receiving email, but he could still send email as president@domain.com.

Although I thought that I would need to set up separate accounts, whether by setting up a mail server or by using something like Google Apps or Office 365, I thought I'd ask just to make sure. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom