POLL: Creating a style tutorial - Video or Screenshots

Would you prefer a video or screenshots to learn how to make a style

• Video + supporting code text

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Screenshots + text

Votes: 11 39.3%

• Total voters

Russ

Just wanted to get an opinion from some of you, but I have a basic PSD I made which I was going to turn into a free style and in the process also create a tutorial on creating a style. I know there's a resource out there now but I figured it would be kind of cool to see what steps go into creating a style.

So... would you prefer a video to watch with the supporting code I use in text form as well...

Or screenshots + text.

I'm rather quick when it comes to creating styles so the video wouldn't be long, I'm sticking to the basic XenForo layout and would explain what I'm doing as I go and my thoughts why I do it that way.

The end of everything there would be an extra XenForo style for free and a nice little basic tutorial for folks to follow. Thanks for you input.

Video all the way. I find it much more useful to see a video than screenshots for this type of thing.

Video, and as @Teapot mentioned you could use stills, additional screenshots to be more descriptive, more indepth if that area of styling calls for it to be elaborated more on.

Just out of curiosity @Russ - How are you going to do the tutorials, will they be broken down into segments (navigation, sidebar etc) or will the vid consist of one continuous tutorial?

BTW - Looking forward in seeing what you come up with. :)

Just out of curiosity @Russ - How are you going to do the tutorials, will they be broken down into segments (navigation, sidebar etc) or will the vid consist of one continuous tutorial?

BTW - Looking forward in seeing what you come up with. :)

Still debating, in middle of some custom work and finishing up a style or two and will be getting into.

I did a quick run through it last night, and I did the full style fairly quick, so possibly one video, maybe referring to "Section A" for this example code, Section B for the next ect ect...

Overall the style will use all style properties and very few lines of code, but again this will be a bare bones basic style which the style + psd will be released for free.

Doesn't matter, as long as its possible to follow you step by step. If a video goes too fast then thats difficult. But a video shows where everything can be found which is optimal. Especially with the maze of style properties to work through.

I'll stop tooling around with it and will await your tutorial.

Top Bottom