XF 2.2 Point URL at my new XenForo account

thedunes

Hello,

I am working on getting my new forum up and running and it's definitely a little overwhelming, my first issue is getting my domain working.

I purchased my domain from Google domains several months ago and now I am trying to point it at my new forum. I added the DNS information XenForo sent me into the custom domain section and now I am waiting for it to work, I know it can take several days but here is my question:

On the custom status page, it says:

"Once these records have been updated, submit this form and wait for the connection to complete. As DNS changes are not instant, this may take several days. Once we detect the correct records, we will email you and this domain will become the primary URL for your cloud site."

I don't see any place to submit a form it just has a button that says "cancel connection with www.speedutv.net"

Am I overthinking this? Something happened because my old landing page at speedutv.net is gone.

Wow, thanks for the insanely quick reply. I think I understand what you mean by resolve but it was working fine before I made the changes that I received in an email from XenForo. The email had the record type and IP address that I need to change on my Google DNS settings page.

I previously had a landing page that did resolve I just figured it wasn't right now because it said it could take a few days. I thought it was because I did not submit the form it said needed to be submitted but I could not see a submit button. I will try to call Google Domains and see if they can help.

I appreciate the help,

John

Remove the A and CNAME records for the Cloud subscription and ensure the URL resolves (works) correctly.

Once that is done, reduce the TTL to as low a value as possible.

Then create the DNS records for Cloud and it should work fairly quickly.

Remove the A and CNAME records for the Cloud subscription and ensure the URL resolves (works) correctly.

Once that is done, reduce the TTL to as low a value as possible.

Then create the DNS records for Cloud and it should work fairly quickly.
I removed the DNS info Xenforo sent me from my Goggle domains site and removed it from the XenForo custom domains page and it resolved back to my old landing page. I then added the www.speedutv.net back to the custom domain page on XenForo and went back to the google domains page and added the info Xenforo sent me, I also reduced TTL to the lowest time it would allow of 30 seconds but it still isn't resolving. Under the Data column below I input the IP address XenForo sent me. I just added x's below because I wasn't sure it was okay to show them here.

Custom records
speedutv.net/A

Manage custom records
Host name

Type

TTLData
speedutv.netA30 secondsxx.xx.xx.xxx

This is what I have on the XenForo Custom Domain page and the x's below match what I put in the data field above,

Verification pending for www.speedutv.net

To connect www.speedutv.net, you must create or update the following DNS records for speedutv.net.
HostRecord typePoints to
@Axx.xx.xx.xxx
wwwCNAMEspeedutv.net
Once these records have been updated, submit this form and wait for the connection to complete. As DNS changes are not instant, this may take several days. Once we detect the correct records, we will email you and this domain will become the primary URL for your cloud site.
Cancel connection with www.speedutv.net

I use google domains as well so if you need any more help let me know and I will show you how I set mine up,
I could definitely use some help, I’m sitting in a city planning meeting right now but I’ll reach out tomorrow.

I thought I followed the instructions but it’s still not resolving.

Thanks for the help.

John

Go to: domains.google.com/registrar/yourdomain.com/dns

Do this...

Screenshot (55).png

Sub your domain for mine but keep the same ip address

Then attach the domain in your cloud settings and you are done.

When you have it working I will tell you some advantages for using google domains.

Go to: domains.google.com/registrar/yourdomain.com/dns

Do this...

View attachment 277931

Sub your domain for mine but keep the same ip address

Then attach the domain in your cloud settings and you are done.

When you have it working I will tell you some advantages for using google domains.
It's working. Thanks for the help. I'm going to try and upload the Nova styles and it says an update is ready so I should be able to get myself into trouble again.

Great now for my hint....

set up...

admin@yoursite.com
noreply@yoursite.com
yourusername@yoursite.com
contact@yoursite.com

So basically all email addresses you will need for your site.

You do that in google domains at:
domains.google.com/registrar/yoursite.com/email

Google domains allows you to forward all those email addresses to your private email so you have a central mailbox.

I went one step further and made a gmail account

me.dn.ca@gmail.com and I forwarded all those email addresses to it.

I then set my outgoing address on that gmail account to admin@mydomain.ca

Now you have almost unlimited board email for free.

Great now for my hint....

set up...

admin@yoursite.com
noreply@yoursite.com
yourusername@yoursite.com
contact@yoursite.com

So basically all email addresses you will need for your site.

You do that in google domains at:
domains.google.com/registrar/yoursite.com/email

Google domains allows you to forward all those email addresses to your private email so you have a central mailbox.

I went one step further and made a gmail account

me.dn.ca@gmail.com and I forwarded all those email addresses to it.

I then set my outgoing address on that gmail account to admin@mydomain.ca

Now you have almost unlimited board email for free.
Thanks for all of the help and tips. I was able to get it all done just in time for Google to lock me out of my main account for unusual activity, probably unusual for me.

Top Bottom