Please help me to choose the right hosting package

Silivistras

I am in a very unpleasant position. My forum is down for several hours and before that i had several problems with my new third party host as the previous one. I have started to search for another host but i am very confused regarding the right package i have to choose in order to stop problems. Could someone help me in order to understand what my hosting needs are for my forum?

I see that there are several shared hosting packages and several VPS packages, with several specs about ram etch . How could i know what is the more suitable package for my needs? The forum has approx 1000 ip visitors per day and 350 members. Is a new forum and i have new members almost every day.

I am guessing you are going for a managed VPS? Properly configured your needs are not much. Can do it on 1gb of ram. 2 is nice but I have found learning to configure my own servers and then running load tests out of the box I was supporting 250 simultaneous users on 2gb and then able to do the same on only 1gb with tuning.

If your using a managed server you have no real control over how efficient it is set up. Kind of difficult to choose. I would actually looking through the service offers forum here and choose from one of the reputable xenforo hosts.

What reason did both hosts give for your forum being down? Could be anything, really.

If you are planning on going for a VPS, what package you need could range from something very small, to something quite bigger (i.e. if you need cPanel, etc.).

I am guessing you are going for a managed VPS? Properly configured your needs are not much. Can do it on 1gb of ram. 2 is nice but I have found learning to configure my own servers and then running load tests out of the box I was supporting 250 simultaneous users on 2gb and then able to do the same on only 1gb with tuning.

If your using a managed server you have no real control over how efficient it is set up. Kind of difficult to choose.

Very focused answer, thanks you very much.

I would actually looking through the service offers forum here and choose from one of the reputable xenforo hosts.
That is what i did and now i am exposed ...

Judging by the tone of your post, you don't have a lot of experience with server/VPS administration. I would suggest learning about it now and practicing your skills building stacks BEFORE you think about jumping into managed/un-managed VPS. It's not easy, but it's not impossible.

Meanwhile, move your site from whatever hosting company you're using now to one like GoDaddy, HostGator, or 1and1. They're not exactly the best value for the money, but they have good tools and support.

Top Bottom