Lack of interest Please consider making messageMaxLength a permission and not a global setting

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

frm

I am keeping a coronavirus timeline and exceeded 20000 characters (my forum limit) as an administrator.

This should definitely be by user group and not a global setting as I needed to increase it to 25000.

Additionally, there should be a minimum post length as well as "OK" or "COOL" does not add much value to a forum at all, but could be used by moderators as in "DELETED" or something easy.

Last edited:
Upvote 2
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Yeah, min/max post length would be nice as permissions.
I thought that there was a minimum length built-in already; I suppose I was wrong. I edited the first message to include a minimum length in the original post as "OK" being a reply adds no value to a forum. I know Discourse (maybe) has this as I am apart of a forum where 20 characters or more has to be entered or it won't go through so you'll see people slip by "Good info 20 characters!"

If you want to change the Max post limit to 25000 go to Admin CP > Setup > Options > Messages. Then you can change the limit. Use 0 to disable the limit.

If you want to change the Max post limit to 25000 go to Admin CP > Setup > Options > Messages. Then you can change the limit. Use 0 to disable the limit.
But I want a limit. Setting no limit wouldn't be the smartest thing to do, as I believe multiple accounts, and not even that many at that, could take a forum down if a simultaneous attack is done with unlimited characters with PHP settings allowing for that (such as allotted memory and upload size). Correct me if I'm wrong here...

New accounts could be limited to 1000 characters and then move up to like 5000-25000 once there is some trust established with a couple of posts.

There definitely needs to be a min/max and it should be a user group permission, not forum wide. I'm almost certain this is a Discourse feature but won't install to confirm. A min/max would prevent posts from not contributing to the conversation as well as people copy/pasting full Wikipedia pages that also helps in no way either.

Top Bottom