Not planned Please clean those unused phrases from XF releases from now on.

ShikiSuen

Please clean those unused phrases from XF releases from now on.
Those deprecated phrases like "user discipline" wastes translators' time on how to manage the terminological translation glossary.

In most times, the choice of translation for a word must consider its lingualogical context in the entire XenForo product.
This continuously takes time, simply because translators may tweak the translation glossary as the translation work goes on.

The deletion of unused phrases in official XenForo distro helps.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
That might just be a bad example but we do use "User discipline" in the software:

1589807303704.png

Generally any phrases that contain a . (indicating a phrase that is part of a specific phrase group) are automatically generated so you may not see them referenced directly in templates but may be used as titles for things such as, in this case, the title of an admin navigation entry.

We actually have an internal tool which we use to locate phrases which may be unused. Apparently we have 29 unused phrases in XF 2.1.x but I know for a fact that some of these are used in contexts that we may not be able to detect programmatically and some may be kept around for legacy reasons.

So this is really something that we keep a handle on already but realistically you need to translate all phrases for a complete translation as less than half of 1 percent of the phrases we ship in the software are unused.

Last edited:
That might just be a bad example but we do use "User discipline" in the software:

View attachment 225401

Generally any phrases that contain a . (indicating a phrase that is part of a specific phrase group) are automatically generated so you may not see them referenced directly in templates but may be used as titles for things such as, in this case, the title of an admin navigation entry.

We actually have an internal tool which we used to locate phrases which may be unused. Apparently we have 29 unused phrases in XF 2.1.x but I know for a fact that some of these are used in contexts that we may not be able to detect programmatically and some may be kept around for legacy reasons.

So this is really something that we keep a handle on already but realistically you need to translate all phrases for a complete translation as less than half of 1 percent of the phrases we ship in the software are used or could be used in some contexts.
Thanks for your response. No wonder why I searched "user discipline" through AdminCP but found no results.

By the way: Is "reply ban" only related to "thread reply ban"? or also related to something else?
If it only means "thread reply ban", then I'd better reinvent a better term in Chinese and Japanese.
(I am reperforming both Simplified and Traditional Chinese translation of XF 2.1.x from scratch; after that, the Japanese translation.)

Reply ban only pertains to banning a user from replying to threads, yes.
Thanks. Really helpful.

One more thing: Isn't it a good idea to separate the names of emoji sets into a standalone XML?
'cause they already should have their translations available online.
This can make the management of XenForo-related phrase translations easier.

Top Bottom