Piracy - The Battle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheldon

mustresist.png
pirate.png
omgrun.png

I know this will never stop. Its not possible. Eventually, everything will get pirated, and obviously that is unfortunate for the developers we have here that are providing excellent add-ons. However, is it not possible to at least "slow" it down some? Yes, I realize this doesn't do much or help much for the "freely released" add-ons, but I am hoping to lure back some of the ones who are creating add-ons and supporting them as a livelihood, or their second income or whatever it may be.

A couple of suggestions....

License Owner or Associate
Yes, it is easy for our developers to see who replies in certain threads, to have them look like "legit" license holders, it is just that they are using an "associated" license. The pirates are chipping in, purchasing a license, and then loading up on forum users for that license and they start hawking all of the add-ons.
  • Display somewhere in postbit ( I am certain MANY of our theme makers and stylers can offer some excellent solutions ) if user is the ACTUAL owner, or just a listed "Forum User", as seen here: users.webp
Hidden Forum
  • A simple hidden forum (if user groups created) that these developers can see and exchange information. I have started one myself in a simple PM that I have running. After a bit, you slowly can add the pieces together and narrow it down to a certain user at a certain time on a certain day.
Accountability
  • If above are approved, I feel you will see less (or a slower pace) in the piracy of items from here. If the associated user is found, the license owner is revoked as well, along with all associated with that license. A constant battle? Yes. Worth it? For the longevity of xF, yes.
I browse these piracy sites almost every day. I match names, birthdays, emails, posts, avatars, etc. I do this because I personally want the devs to know I will attempt to do anything I can to help them out. I for one do not want to see a single one leave here, from pure frustration.

Personally, I don't care if another User Group is made and the ones who release these items are the only ones able to view it, but something has to be done. At least to slow it down. The add-on devs here are amazing coders, but I can see why the really great ones have slowed down to a crawl. Why post anything? It seems as they have no real way of slowing the piracy themselves, other than to only sell to the ones who post here EACH day.

I am not sure if any other place offers something like this or not, I don't venture much outside of XenForo. It has always seemed to be ahead of the crowd so to speak, I feel as though something as simple as this could help out tremendously.

Yeah, so that is my suggestion....

As this is a suggestion for xenforo.com, rather than the publicly released software, I've moved it to the feedback forum.

This is why I finally told IPS to bugger off and switched to XF. Back when we used IPB, I was listed as an associate as the forum owner at that time purchased the software. But I did all of the work and maintaining of the site.

Now, it's reversed. I now pay for the software, and my backup is the previous "bill payer". If I didn't have the ability to rely on him to be able to obtain updates in my absence, I'm not sure what I'd do. Associates (at least for me) are extremely important in the smooth running of the site. Please don't penalize us because of the bad apples. IPS refuses to budge on that and I refuse to log in as someone else, or give my account info to another just to ensure the site stays running.

Hidden Forum
  • A simple hidden forum (if user groups created) that these developers can see and exchange information. I have started one myself in a simple PM that I have running. After a bit, you slowly can add the pieces together and narrow it down to a certain user at a certain time on a certain day.

Either this or an increase to the limit to the amount of users in a private conversation would be a godsend

And if a user group solution were implemented, some means of trusted developers being able to check license status would be wonderful. We could collaborate our existing info to help prevent piracy of xenforo itself too.

If a user on your account wants to download something, they could simply tell the developer in a PM (how quite a few are purchased here) who the actual license owner is.

Accountability is the key. Right now, with the use of extra forum users, they pirates are using it as a way to quickly gain access. But if they have to "dime out" or at least show who the license holder is, it will slow it down. They won't throw away $140 as quickly.

Great idea. Would service providers be allowed to be in on the list? Just so I know who to avoid. I sometimes come across people who want me to install pirated XF copies, and refuse to deal with those. It would be good doing the same with pirated add-ons.

Great idea. Would service providers be allowed to be in on the list? Just so I know who to avoid. I sometimes come across people who want me to install pirated XF copies, and refuse to deal with those. It would be good doing the same with pirated add-ons.

Obviously not for me to decide. I am just putting this idea out there, in hopes that xF wants to go above and beyond.

VERY important topic.
If Xenforo could better protect addons ... it could help retain the addon makers and encourage them to make more addons !
Of course, the most pirated thing on those sites is ... xenforo itself.

If a user on your account wants to download something, they could simply tell the developer in a PM (how quite a few are purchased here) who the actual license owner is.

Accountability is the key. Right now, with the use of extra forum users, they pirates are using it as a way to quickly gain access. But if they have to "dime out" or at least show who the license holder is, it will slow it down. They won't throw away $140 as quickly.

As long as those identified as Associated could still act in the absence of the actual account holder (XF licensee), I have no issues. My alternate and I have known each other for over 13 years now, so this wouldn't be an issue.

As you guys know (form my involvement in the PC) we are looking at ways to help you guys out.

However it is an uphill battle, measures are only effective for so long... all it would take is someone to sneak past into the particular forum and then its all for nothing.

I did have an idea... but it would need quite a lot of logisitcal working out first.....

And if a user group solution were implemented, some means of trusted developers being able to check license status would be wonderful. We could collaborate our existing info to help prevent piracy of xenforo itself too.

I would also love to see something like this happen and though not a big developer, we host currently over 75 xF forums. In the last week I had terminated and reported 2 domains they used to register for accounts to Jake and Ashley as they asked me to install xF to find their zip they uploaded to do so was [xxxxxxxxx]nulled-xF-1-1-3.zip. So a way just to take a minute and come here to verify a order is a legit holder would be amazing.

As long as those identified as Associated could still act in the absence of the actual account holder (XF licensee), I have no issues. My alternate and I have known each other for over 13 years now, so this wouldn't be an issue.

I'm not saying a way to eliminate the associated forum users at all. I am more leaning towards the accountability issue to the actual email account on file for the license that member is associated with.

They still have all the access, can download, get support, etc. But the devs know where and who that license is leading to.

I'm not saying a way to eliminate the associated forum users at all. I am more leaning towards the accountability issue to the actual email account on file for the license that member is associated with.

They still have all the access, can download, get support, etc. But the devs know where and who that license is leading to.

I don't see email working very well. All the cretin would have to do is associate a good email address with the software that's being requested/downloaded. Could easily get out of hand.

However. This is something I've thought about off and on over the past couple of years (after going through the BS with IPS). Make that licensee accountable. In other words, he better be making damned sure that those he adds to the account are trustworthy. If any nulled versions are found and associated with the licensee's email address.... Well, as Ricky used to say, “All right, start ‘splainin.’"

I don't see email working very well. All the cretin would have to do is associate a good email address with the software that's being requested/downloaded. Could easily get out of hand.

However. This is something I've thought about off and on over the past couple of years (after going through the BS with IPS). Make that licensee accountable. In other words, he better be making damned sure that those he adds to the account are trustworthy. If any nulled versions are found and associated with the licensee's email address.... Well, as Ricky used to say, “All right, start ‘splainin.’"

When you purchase a license, you use an email. If your associated users are caught pirating, that license tied to that email is revoked.

Your second paragraph is what I am talking about.

Not sure an outright revoke is good. Depends on the explanation (system compromise, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom